ATO - Auto Top Off Systems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nxb161

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi All,
I was wondering who uses an ATO system? For those that have had experience with them, what are the drawlbacks? Has anyone had one that was over pumping and overflowing a tank? I'd love to not have to pour water into the tnak every day, but nervous about an ATO gone wrong.
Thanks for any info!

I have bought 4 different ATO all used and am using 3 at the moment. I haven't had any problems with any of them. Two of mine has switches like this AutoTopoff.com this is the safest one I have one in a sump and one slipped into a 24gallon jbj. My 55 I only have a gallon jug for top off and need to refill it once a day. One of the 24 gallons I have a gallon jug on and fill it about every third day. The other 24 I have a 2.5 gallon gallon tank on it and fill it once a week. This is similar to the other top off Auto Top-off System | GreenAquarium the draw back to this one is getting it adjusted just perfect and keeping it that way because of the suction cups.

I have never had one over flow. I use the aqua lifter pump they aren't the strongest but seem to do pretty well for the price, I do find it works better on the sump other than the cubes since it doesn't have so far to pump the water.

If you are nervous, you can do like I did for the first few weeks only use a gallon jug so it doesn't overflow your tank. I don't use anything bigger because of space but know if I am going to be gone I can put 5 gallon bucket. They are very easy to set up like I said I bought all mine used and no instructions.

Back
Top Bottom