Automatic Feeders

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishylittlenemo

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was lookin and reading up on some auto feeders for my tank. One reason cuz i'm never able to have a nice set schedule for my fish. But i was thinking of getting one. Has anyone have or used an auto feeder before? If you did how well did they work? Thank you everyone for your time reading this post.. :)

fishylittlenemo

I only used them once and they alwys semed to over fed them. I left for vaction and they fed way to much and when I got back the water was all but un livable. IMO no don't use them but thats me.

If you purchase a good one, it should not be a problem. Eheim makes one that has high reviews, but it is pricey. The cheaper ones sometimes can over or under feed. The last time I checked, the Eheim was about $60 from Big Als.

My wife has a 10g @ her office work place. Normal weekend leaves her away from office.

We just set up this feeder last week and quite happy with it's function. She has opted to use it all the time, and just keep an eye on it to be sure it is working properly. Need to keep these feeders away from bubbling water, as the mist could moisten the flakes and hinder the release when the little cog brings the does by the opening.

She just puts a pinch in each section, just as she would in the usual mannor of daily feeding.

She has
4 fancy guppies 1m/3fm
1 Red Tail Shark
2 Baby Bumble Bee's
2 cat fish

We're believers in the 'less is more' feeding philosophy

Lifeguard Automatic Fish Feeder & Hopper. Cost: ~$45 though Aquarium Guyz

We don't use the hopper, but keep it in case we ever need to auto-feed a larger tank. This feeder is AC powered which we like, and will feed up to 14 days without the hopper.
It can feed 1,2,3, or 4 times per day.

We'll probably get one for our home tank too - for an away trip to deliver some horses from Vermont to Iowa in April.

Dave

I personally don't like autofeeders unless i am going away for a LONG time and there is no one to look after my fish for me. That is when i would do that.

The most common problem is that they often overfeed (for the cheap ones) yes the pricier ones will often be more accurate. The problem that some people also have with them is where can i stick this thing. Most back of tanks are almost completely full that i have seen.

I personally feel that there are too many cons when it comes to autofeeders to have them be considered reliable

Ok thank you everyone for you help. Your opinions really help out....Thanks. :)

Fishylittlenemo

Back
Top Bottom