Back after 5 years... good lights for under $200? LED vs T5 HO's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

arminkropp

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I've decided to go at it again after a 5 year break. I'm looking at at 20-30 gal setup mostly FOWLR but maybe some GSP's, Zoo's etc.
I used to run my 50 Gal with VHO's but now am looking at LED's or T5 HO's. I really like the LED's with the shimmering effect and that I dont need to replace bulbs every year. I guess the problem they're not cheap. (i know, nothing is in this hobby!) I read a ton of stuff on the Chinese LED's and would just like to know what people are using and how its holding up.

I'm currently looking at the following:
reefbreeders

Is there any reason why I should avoid these? They sound alright but am looking for any input from people that have used LED's

$200 is the max I'm willing to spend.

TIA

I have one and its been great. I have seen pictures of people growing SPS and clams with these light. The picture looked very colorful.

I will add my first coral under these lights next week.

I have heard other people recommending taotronics since the results are great with those. You can do the comparison.

I've been doing a lot of reading. Can get a Tao tronic off amazon. Very reasonable. And they seem to be doing everyones coral good

@ Terrance--Keep us posted on how your coral does! Thanks for the input!
@ Rob-- I've been looking at that one. The TT-AL09 looks good and gets positive reviews. Thanks as well.

I think I'm going to purchase 2 for my 75 gal. My tank is no where near set up. But that's my light of choice at the moment

I think its a reallt good idea to get a dimmer. If you dont get a dimmer, then you will have to adjust the height of the LED until it makes your corals comfortable, but you will end up with more light spilling out of the tank and you may not like that (really depends on where your tank is located). You even waste some electricity as well when you could have easily dimmed the LED if you dont need that much light.

Seeing I don't have anything yet, will that matter? Or do you mean if I buy new ones I'll have to get them acclimated? Can a person buy a separate dimmer control for LED's?

Im talking about the light fixture producing too much light for some corals. Its tough working around nondimmable units.

Nondimmable units cannot be dimmed, but i am not entirely sure. Your turn to do the research.

Back
Top Bottom