Back in the hobby, need advice on 20ga starter kit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vaindioux

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi

I want to start a simple fish tank to get back in the hobby. I am confined and it will have to be delivered.
I have been looking at 20ga starter kits, and have found the following:

-Tetra aqua culture $78 with free delivery

-Top fin $60 free pick up locally

-Aqueon $103 with free shipping

-Marina (None found)

I am leaning towards the tetra. It is delivered free and tetra is decent just to have a normal, little fish tank around.
Top fin I think is a bottom brand. Marina can't be found with free delivery or pick up. Aqueon I m sure is the best brand but much higher.

I do understand that I will have to buy other items like food, water treatment, net, heater, test kit and a few others.
I will keep a low number of small peaceful fish, no cichlids or aggressive fish.

Thxs

Pat

Amazon had an extra ~$10 off the Aqueon and there are same tank at Petco for the price mentioned free delivery over $35 (said on the header, not sure what might be excluded)

Of your choices, Aqueon would be my pick.

Another slightly more expensive but really nice tank is the Fluval 15G offers some very nice features like remote and adjustable lighting, hidden 3 stage filtration in back and included.

You could go with nano fish and nano Cories. Some fish to consider - Ember Tetras, Sparkling Gourami, Sundadanio Axlerodi (softer water fish) Scarlet Badis or Peacock Gudgeon, Boraras Brigittae Chili Rasboras or similar nano fish Rasboras, Neon Green Tetras.

https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/aqueon-led-aquarium-kit

Aqueon

Autumnsky

Well thxs for the help. I m starting to lean towards an Aqueon set up after what you wrote. Thxs for the Petco link, I found out that for $9 more I go from an Aqueon 20ga to a 29ga one. I probably go for that. The fluval is nice but too fancy and very expensive.

I am in the process of making room in a spare bedroom for the tank, then I will make my move.
I like those Scarlet Badis with some lil cats on the bottom.

Thxs a lot

Pat

9 more gallons is great for very little extra $, good idea.

Also recommend Prime water conditioner. Helps with the ups and downs of getting the tank cycled.

Are you considering a fish in cycle, or fishless cycle?

Definitely fishless cycle. Cycling with fish is cruel in my book.

Pat

The throw a fish in the tank version is cruel. Doing testing (as needed, almost) every day and sometimes more than once a day, is managed care, not cruel unles one is lazy and won't do the work.

Also if you can get good media to seed the tank, always a bonus!

Here is an article for fishless cycle.

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/the-almost-complete-guide-and-faq-to-fishless-cycling/

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/tips-and-tricks-for-your-fastest-fishless-cycle/

And the link in my signature gives extra info on the nitrification cycle and other tips and helpful information.

Can't wait to see the new tank come together!

Autumnsky

Thxs so much for the help. I will check your links out. I have seeded tanks in the past with gravel from a friend's tank.

Pat

Every little bit helps even running a fishless cycle! If you still have a friend with a tank, getting a swish in a bucket of treated water and squeeze of the filter pad is a really good seeder! All that stuff settles in all over an makes so many little places of BB start growing.

Back
Top Bottom