back to lights again.. T5 vs MH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

e_murray

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok, so I had mind up that I was going to upgrade to T5HO.

Well, I was talking to the guy that I bought my ASM G3 PSK from (awesome CL find) and he has a 800 gallon reef. Yes, 800 Gallons! Holy cow!

He gave me some advice and said " don't waist your money on t5ho, MH hands down!"

I am so confused! I have read and read, it seems everyone has their own opinion!

Is one better than the other?

I think it more depends on your tank than anything else. If I was going to have a really deep tank (36" or so) then I would really be looking at MH lights. As is, for my 90g tank (that is still pretty deep) I'm just going to run 6xT5HO upgrading to 8 later (or just straight to LED).

MH do put off a lot of heat. That makes a difference to me being in FL and I would think you as well in AL.

I would suggest straight to LED. I got two 60Watt lamps from AquariumLEDSolutions.com and they are great. Never looking back on my halides. I almost did after seeing some of the models from Marineland, very nice cases and structure they just didn't have the wattage to support my LPS and SPS. LEDs are the future I use way less electricity than my halides, and my air conditioning unit is also thanking me.

What size tank and what are you keeping, that your only using 2 60 watt led's? Seems like that's would not be enough light...

I have a 55 gallon tank and there is PLENTY of light. These things are no joke. The 120W LED is equivalent to 300W halide, I was skeptical at first but it's pretty clear after seeing them that LEDs are the future of lighting.

At least they seem to be reasonably priced as far as the LEDs go. Interesting idea going with them. At those prices I think it even competes with the DIY.

Yeah, as long as you're comfortable securely mounting them above the tank they are awesome. I couldn't fork over the money for the ecoxotic.

My vote is on the T5s, the fixtures you were looking at before are easily comparable or better than a MH fixture.

MH are seemingly on their way out as far as the hobby goes, they aren't as efficient, put out a lot of heat and suck electricity, don't last as long as T5 bulbs, and are expensive to replace.

This was for a 4ft tank correct? I don't think MH would be worth it or better than the T5HO fixture(s) you were looking at.

Ok, thanks, gonna go with the T5HO's my dad has some ballasts for free.. so I'm gonna just buy some reflectors from TEK and some ATI bulbs.

Back
Top Bottom