Bad experience with Seaclear tank through MarineDepot.com

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bodie

Aquarium Advice Regular
I purchased a 50 gallon SeaClear tank with built in skimmer box through MarineDepot back in late December 2005, but to date I still haven't received the tank. The problem is the tank ships directly from the manufacturer, Casco. For whatever reason, it takes Casco over a month to ship out a single tank.

To their credit, MarineDepot has promptly answered my emails and even offered to refund my money if I wanted to cancel my order, so my complaint isn't really against MarineDepot. I do believe they're a reputable company and have done their best to work with me. The only gripe I have with them is their website listed that the tank usually ships out within 10 business days and never mentioned that it could take this long. Maybe I am being naive, but I assumed that Casco (the manufacturer of SeaClear tanks) had a warehouse full of tanks and just shipped them out after they received the order. Again, I'm not really mad at MarineDepot, but I do think they should update their website and explain that if you order a SeaClear tank that it will take over a month to get it.

For the life of me, I can't understand how it could take this long to distribute a tank. I asked MarineDepot to contact Casco and find out when my tank would ship and all Casco could tell them is sometime between the end of January or beginning of February. I wonder if a retail store tried to order tanks from Casco, if they would have to place the order months in advance to get the tanks? I know they also sell SeaClear tanks online at Petco and other online stores, but I'm not sure if it takes them over a month to ship as well. I would have cancelled my order and bought from somewhere else, but then I would have risked having to wait another month if Casco treats all of their orders this way.

Anyway, the moral of the story is I wouldn't recommend anyone buying a SeaClear tank if they have to get it shipped from the manufacturer, Casco. As for MarineDepot, it's sad that they deal with such a shady company as Casco because it ruins their good reputation. I would deal with MarineDepot again because they did offer to cancel the order after I found out it would take over a month to ship, but based on this experience, I think I will shop elsewhere first.

Why not find a different manufacturer that has a tank available and then cancel your Casco order? Marine Depot is a good company as you stated. I have purchased from them many times.

Back
Top Bottom