t8s would not be a better choice than t12, unless you wanted less light. VHO
T12s are potent enough to keep most corals. i don't think i have ever seen VHO
t8 lamps. meanwhile, the specs on this ballast are as follows-
Description IceCap 430 Information: IceCap Ballasts are the coolest ballasts available using 40% less electricity and burning 40% brighter. Their unique circuitry prevents premature lamp burn out and fading associated with VHO
lamps. You can run VHO
, and STD lamps in any combination. In summary, the Icecap 430 is a versatile and powerful ballast.
Specific features include:
- A Model 430 can operate up to 12 lamp feet with a total of 324 rated lamp watts. Individual lamps can be 2 through 6 feet each. This corresponds to 10 different lamp configurations.
- Maximum light output with VHO and HO lamps.
- Cold temperature starts to -40¡ Celsius.
- 3 Year Limited Warranty.
- Mode: IceCap 430-008
- Input Voltage: 220V A/C
- Input Current: 3.3 Amps
- Input Power: 330 Watts
- Lamp Load: 3 @ 110 Watts
- Power Factor: > 60%
- Operating Frequency: 22-24 KHz
- Minimum Starting Temp.: -40C
- Max. Allowed Area Temp.: < 50C
- Max. Mounting Distance: 50 feet
- Type: 2 Outdoors
- Sound Rating: A
- Enclosure Overall Dimensions (Inches): 11 ¼ X 3 7/32 X 1 ¾
- Approval: cULus
- Thermal Protected: Class P
- Weight: 2 lbs
The 430 is fully dimmable, operates silently, has many available features, is fully repairable and has a 3 year conditional warranty.