Ballasts in the canopy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chase33

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I recently saw a DIY project where the builder placed the ballasts in the canopy. Is it common practice to place ballasts in the canopy? I have three ballasts and am trying to figure the pros and cons of placing them there. Will they be to heavy? Will they add extra heat in the canopy area?

I personally would not put my ballast IN the canopy for 2 reasons. 1 heat...the MH create enough heat already. 2 moisture...I would not want that getting wet. My MH ballast is in my fish room directly behind my tank. My VHO ballast is mounted on the back of my canopy but it is only 10" long and 3" wide, doesn't weigh much and is in a position that it wont get wet HTH

I think it depends on what kind of ballasts. As Ziggy said, MH ballasts get seriously hot and are pretty big. I have two PC ballasts attached to the back of my canopy so they are pretty much out of the line of fire regarding getting wet and the small amount of heat they do put out doesn't stay in the canopy. They are a little smaller than Ziggy's VHO ballasts and also don't weigh much.

Has anyone ever place them on the top of the canopy? I have the MH ballasts on the back of the canopy so they are out of the way. I'm looking for a spot to place the VHO ballast. It too is about 10" x 3". If not I can always attach it to the back underneath one of the MH ballasts.

The only thing I would caution you on is the amount of weight that you put on top of your canopy and subsequently on top of your tank. I don't know about your equipment but my ballast (MH) is very heavy and I would not want it on top of my canopy. Does the manufacturer offer extensions for your wiring harness? You could always put the beside the tank somewhere....just a thought.....

MH ballasts are in the bacgk hanging off the stand. The one I was going to sit on the canopy is the one used for vho lights and it is 2 lbs. I've since attached it to the back of the stand with the MH's.

My ballasts are about 10LBs each and I have 3 of them. Mine are under my stand. I agree about the weight and heat. My ballasts take about 30 mins to cool down before I can even handle them.

Back
Top Bottom