Battery back ups

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

earhtmother

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So had the first of many winter power outages today & the fish in his 125g were extremely stressed after only a half hour or so. All my tanks(6x30-70g) seemed fine. Looks like a Battery back up is going to have to go on his tank, so I'm looking for everyone's recommendations.

Amazon has some Cyberpower UPS 1500VA/900watt for about 150 USD that you can use for the heaters. For oxygen you can use the tried and true Hydrogen Peroxide and Potato oxygen generator with an air-stone.

Honestly though if you have long periods of no power maybe invest in a small gasoline generator. if you are out in the country and mainly use propane they also have generators that can run off propane as well as gasoline.

A 500 watt portable battery powered generator should work depending on the output of your heater(s). This would only work if you happen to be home during the outage as is the case for most basic generators.

How long are these outages, and how frequent? I'd invest in a small portable generator. If you consider the time and money spent on the fish, it should make the generator a more palatable investment. Plus you can power other stuff with the generator aside from the tank equipment.

Depends on the weather. If it is cold but dry not so bad but snow & ice could be a problem. We average -15c & live in *cottage country* so no shortage of water. Which is one of the problems as our second generator is out on an island where hubby qas workjng and the lakes are unpassable as yet

Back
Top Bottom