Beginner Filter: Eheim 2213 Canister vs. Emperor 280

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trafficjam

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
This is my first post and any and all help is very much appreciated! I am a beginner that just purchased my first aquarium. It's a 30 gal. and plan to set up a basic tropical freshwater community tank.

Purchased a Eheim classic 2213 canister filter on a great boxing day sale at BigAl's ... but am wondering if I bought the right filter for my tank? A friend swears by the Emperor 280.

I noticed that the Eheim 2213 is rated for 116 gal. per hour and have been reading that I should have ten times water turnover per hour - so is the Eheim enough? Should I return it and get the Emperor... or do I get both? I notice that a lot of posts have both canister and HOB.

Do I have enough, too much or too little filtration?

What fish do you have in your tank? Many fish like high currents and others prefer still waters. Another thing to take into account is the amount of fish in your tank. Is it over stocked or under stocked? If it is over stocked the extra filtration is good.

Thanks for the reply Dave! I am just starting out and have not yet even cycled my 30 gal. tank. As of yet there are no fish... but I plan to start slow, cycle and apply the one inch rule. Given this any ideas?

Are you interested in shooling fish, fast moving fish, colorful fish? Do you have any specifics that you plan to incorporate in the tank? Are you looking for a natural looking tank or a neon and black tank? Many fish look better in a tank with different gravel colors and feel more comfortable in open or planted tanks. Picking out the correct tank set up will help eliminate stress on the fish and create less stress on them and that will only encourage good health with them.

Looking for a natural tank that simulates a tropical habitat. Definately want a planted tank!
I believe at this point that I am interested in more smaller schooling fish such as neon tetras and zebra danios, but have not yet investigated a good beginner fish list.

The first step is really to get the equipment up and running - which is why I had the initial filter question. Will the Eheim canister fulfil my needs or will I need supplimental HOB filtration?

The Emperor will be easier to service. The Eheim will probably run longer between cleanings. Either filter will be fine for your tank. The 10x flow thing is primarily for saltwater tanks and really doesn't apply to FW tanks. Actually, since you did mention having a planted tank in the future, the canister filter is what you want. One of the challenges with planted tanks is keeping the carbon dioxide level high enough for the plants. Any filter that causes surface disturbance will cause C02 levels to drop.

Hi Trafficjam (that nic makes me think you must ride the 401) LOL. First Loganj is correct about cannister vs HOB, and you do have enough filtration with the Eheim.

I always like to have 2 filters working anyway. IMO you should start with the Eheim and add another filter after the tank has cycled.

Thanks. It sounds like the Eheim is the way to go... with the possibility of additional HOB filtration at a later date. This forum is a godsend for the novice... I appreciate your advice.

The advantage of having two filters is as you clean one the other is already cycled and will continue to keep the tank in balance until the newly cleaned one catches up.

Back
Top Bottom