Berlin skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pipermurphy

Aquarium Advice Freak
I know that many people don't appreciate the Berlin Red sea skimmers, but I had no choice on this one due to the compartment configuration it is the only one that would fit. It has been up and running and skimming a lot of gunk for 3 months with no problems but now it doesn't seem to be skimming DOC matter. It still is creating the many micro bubbles up the shaft tube, but the water that winds up in the collection cup is as clear as the tanks water. What should I do?

If you're getting clear water in the cup, the air is most likely turned up too high. There is a white screw on the side that pinchs the air line down. I would tighten it up a bit and see what happens. This only applies to the Classic...if it's a Turbo, then I'm not that familiar with the adjustments on them. It should have an air adjustment on it though. Also, if you haven't cleaned the throat and cup, I'd do that too. If you have cleaned it, sometimes (Berlins especially) will "run away" for a while until they get a light coating of gunk back on the throat of the skimmer. If you're not seeing any scum on top of the tank water, then there may not be much for it to skim right now although I think that's unlikely in a matured tank. JMHO.

I have a Berlin classic mated to a Rio 2500 pump. I've had this on my 90g FO tank for the last 8-9 years.
IMO this skimmer is not effective or user friendly at all. Just getting the skimmer cup off to empty is a PIA. You sort of have to wiggle it left to right forcefully to dislodge the cup and if it is full then you usually end up with a mess. Since day one, this skimmer has skimmed clear water as pipermurphy has said, but hasn't skimmed much of anything in the last few years unless additives are added to the tank water. I was stuck on this skimmer back then also due to my sump configuration. Basically, I'm not able to place a skimmer in the sump. It needs to be elevated outside of the sump for the return flow. I'm even limited to the size of the water pump that I can place inside the partitioned compartments in the sump. One of these days, I'm going to take some pics of the setup and send them to Logan & Darin to see if they can hook me up with a skimmer that actually skims DOCs! Right now the skimmer runs for oxygen saturation and thats about it.

I'm suprised at that. I'm using a Berlin Classic with a Mag 7 on a 180g (a bit undersized, I know) and it does a pretty good job. I service the tank every two weeks and I'll usually have about 1/2 gallon of dark and nasty (STINKS!) skimate in the container. The skimmer will run some clear water for a day or so after I clean it, then it settles down and goes back to work. Instead of removing just the cup, I give the whole thing a twist and remove the cup and throat at the same time. The three pronged lock disengages easily and you can pull the cup off of it once you have it out from under the stand.

Hmmm........ interesting about twisting & removing the throat. I never knew this and obviously have never cleaned the throat with the exception of wiping what I could.
I'm going to go home tonight & try this, thanks Logan!

The center tube will also lift out when you remove the throat. All you have to do is mutter a few old druid spells in Gaelic under your breath and it will line up and come right out. Otherwise, you may have to fool with it for a few minutes to get it out :mrgreen: . I'd clean out the venturi while I was at it. I have found that, unless it's really clogged badly, you can dunk the end of the air line in the water and let it pull water through the venturi for a few minutes...that'll usually clean it out. If the skimmer is badly fouled, put it in a rubbermaid tub with a 75/25 solution of water and white vinegar. Let it run a few hours in that and it'll come out shining and squeaky.

Back
Top Bottom