Best bio media?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mattcham

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Seachem Matrix
Fluval Biomax
Marineland Bioballs
API Stars
Aquaclear Biomax

Which one is the best?

Which one has the greatest surface area?

Which ones get clogged and lose effectiveness the earliest?

Which ones can be disinfected (in case of disease outbreak)?

I'm surprised that there are no head to head tests. Should be easy to test in a controlled environment using liquid ammonia.

I have a mix of Seachem Matrix and Eheim Substrat Pro in my canister. I give them a rinsing (in dechlor'd water of course) about once a month, and haven't had any problems with its bio-filtering effectiveness. So being my experience is with Matrix and Substrat, I'd recommend those... but I also hear good things about MarinePure Biofilter Media.

Seachem Matrix
Fluval Biomax
Marineland Bioballs
API Stars
Aquaclear Biomax

Which one is the best?

Which one has the greatest surface area?

Which ones get clogged and lose effectiveness the earliest?

Which ones can be disinfected (in case of disease outbreak)?

I'm surprised that there are no head to head tests. Should be easy to test in a controlled environment using liquid ammonia.

If I'm not mistaken aquaclear biomax and fluval biomax are the same thing. Both own by Hagen inc. Nevertheless, I've used both biomax before, never had any issue with them. Though compared to Eheim substrat pro, it seems to deteriorate faster. I believe eheim substrat pro has the most surface area.

Sorry, I haven't had any experience with the other bio media, you have listed.

Interesting. The first two responders recommend eheim substrat. I didn't put that on the list because it had the lowest sales on Amazon compared to all others, for unknown reasons. Maybe price?

Interesting. The first two responders recommend eheim substrat. I didn't put that on the list because it had the lowest sales on Amazon compared to all others, for unknown reasons. Maybe price?

Really? Normally substrat pro is more expensive. Go for it if it's the cheap.

mattcham;29687 45 said:
That's what I meant...maybe few people are buying due to high price.

Ah right sorry, didn't read your post properly. Yaa, it's eheim so it's bound to be expensive but it's worth it, I've had mine for 7 years! Still looks brand new. :)

Back
Top Bottom