best canister?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Makavelli02

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok i now i have a lot of questions and i appalagize i am just new to this stuff. I am seting up a 75g tank for my oscars and a few others. i already have an emporer 400 with biowheels. but as i understand that is not going to give me the best result so i am looking into a good canister. I hve my eye on the fx5 with 900 plus gph is this the best or should i do more research for this particular tank.

German-made Eheim filters are the top of the line. Check them out at Marine Depot or the Eheim website. I have an Eheim 2075 on my 185-gallon FW tank and it works fine - although canister filters will not filter out green water, alas.

I use 2 Rena filstar xp3 on my 125. Best filters I ever bought, parts are solid and easy to put together. Everything runs smoothly and maintanence is beyond easy. Not to mention it cleans the tank great.

I have 2 xp3's on my 140 cichlid tank and an ehiem 2217 on my 115 cichlid tank. The xp's are easier to maintain, but IMO I think the ehiem filters better. The ehiem is designed with the intake on the bottom and the output at the top. This forces the water to complete the full cycle of the filter before being released back into the tank. The xp's come in the top of the filter and exit the top of the filter. I think this doesnt force the water through the entire filter. I like both but think the eheim is a better design. They are on e-bay for about the same price.

I've got a fluval 205, and as I've only had it for around a month, I can't say how it will hold up in the long run yet, but it's pretty solid. The fluval 405 would be a better bet for you than the 205 though, as it's only for 40g, and the 405 is up to 100

I'm running two FX/5's and have nothing but good things to say but they don't pump at 900+ gph with media. I'm a Fluval fan, currently running 2 FX5's and 4 405's.

+1 for Fluvals. I've had a 205 on my 26gal for 6 months now without issue.

My only nit-pick about Fluval is that the only output option they include with the 205 is a standard widemouthed nozzle. If you want to use a spraybar instead - you have to DIY or buy it separately.

I have 2 Rena XP3's on my 125 for my two oscars and I can't complain.

I know this is outside the topic of the thread but it worries me that you are putting "my oscars and a few others" in a 75 Gallon. Just be careful as oscars get up to 18" each. The only two fish in my 125 are the two oscars.

Back
Top Bottom