Best filter and substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LittleParr

Aquarium Advice Activist
Can anyone give me some advice on the best filtration system to use in a beginner's marine aquarium? I have been told to stay away from UGF.
Also, what type of substrate is best? Traditional gravel or or something a little more complex?

Live rock and live sand and a sump with a protein skimmer..I have all this and a wet dry as well. the undergravel is really old skool.. 8)

Just because the ugf is old school does not mean it is not effective. There are better ways, but bottom line QT and regular maintenance (water changes, cleaning filter pads etc) goes the longest way in the health of your animals. Live rock and a good skimmer are a very good start.

I am considering going with a high-end canister filter. Is this a good choice for a beginner?
Yes and no. Canister filters add flow to the tank and provide you with a good place to run chemical media if needed. However, without regular maintanance they have a tendency to produce NO3. Here is what I would do...LS substrate and 45-60lbs of LR. This is all you need for biological filtration. Add on a good skimmer and you are set. You can still use the canister as a place to run GAC. I would fill the canister with LR rubble for added biomedia.

I agree with Lando... Canister filters are not all what they're cracked up to be.. at least not in SW (maybe FW). I returned my fluval for more rock instead... best decision I made (besides my ro/di unit).

For the price... I would rather get an extra PH, and more rock. Less maintenance, looks better, and most likely cleaner water. :D

What is a skimmer? Should I use a powerhead?
It is a Protein Skimmer. They help in the removal of DOC in the water and help keep water water quality high. Powerheads should always be used in a SW tank. The number of powerheads will depend on the size of the tank.

Um...a little confused. I was wondering about using an UGF and powerhead combo earlier, but people in this newsgroup have told me that they are "old school", now people are saying they should 'always' be used. How can this work? Do you connect the powerhead to the UGF plate? Where does the protein skimmer fit in?
:roll:

I would not bother using an UGF. There are much better alternatives (LS,LR) out there. Skip it.

Major confusion here. A protein skimmer and an under gravel filter are two completly different components. The protein skimmer is also called a foam fractioner. It is a long cylindrical tube, usually clear, air runs up the inside of it and strips the water of waste before it has the chance to break down into ammonia, nitrite and then finally nitrate. It is usually powered by a power head and air in some way shape or form.

UG filters trap waste over time and if your using a sand bed I dont even think you can use a UG filter. The sand will fall right through the filter and plug it.
Live rock at least 1 pound per gal. Live sand or a good play sand that is safe for aquariums.
Do a google search on skimmers and you will see what were talking about.
Or superskimmer.com has some nice units.. I run the reef devil on both my tanks.
Did you mention what size tank?
Power heads can be used for added flow in a tank.
You also need to think about lighting and what animals you want to keep. There is a lot of work that goes inot setting up a SW tank, its not like a FW tank that can be set up in a few hours.
Keep doing you research and you will be fine..

You could use a UGF but with reverse flow.........keeps the junk from the bottom suspended so other filtration(canister or power filter) can take it out of the water column.

Welcome to saltwater. You will find if you ask 12 people a question about saltwater, you will get at least 15 opinions. And normally they will contradict each other to some degree. You will find there are many ways to sucessfully navigate saltwater keeping. The most important thing to keep in mind is consistancy. If you keep your water parameters in check you will be ok no matter what type of filtration you use. Each type of filter has it's pros and cons. Keep your eyes open and feel free to ask questions here and you will save some grief in the long run...

that said.. the easiest and more interesting way, I feel...(and this is just another opinion) is the lr, ls way... 8) I see something new come from my lr everyday and night..

I think you have some serious research to do before you dive into the saltwater hobby. You didn't even know what a protein skimmer was and that is a basic piece of equipment for a marine tank. Study up before you make any purchases don't just start a marine tank without knowing at least the basics.

Back
Top Bottom