Best HOB

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cichlid_tank619

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am setting up a small nano planted tank. Skip the details of all the plants and fish.. I want to know what is a good HOB filter. Tank is a 40 gallon tall. Not going to have to many fish maybe a handful of tetra. I want I know what is the best and I'd like it I be quite. Thanks!

It's all a matter of opinion. Personally like the aquaclears and penguin biowheels.

I was looking at getting a whisper 60. Do you think it's better to get something ratted for a lil bigger.

Also what should I put in the media bag... Not a fan of carbons

I am setting up a small nano planted tank. Skip the details of all the plants and fish.. I want to know what is a good HOB filter. Tank is a 40 gallon tall. Not going to have to many fish maybe a handful of tetra. I want I know what is the best and I'd like it I be quite. Thanks!

If you are considering using CO2 injection then you may want to consider a canister filter. If you don't desire to use CO2 then I would recommend an aqua clear.

If you are considering using CO2 injection then you may want to consider a canister filter. If you don't desire to use CO2 then I would recommend an aqua clear.

What's the reasoning for using a canister with CO2? What does it do that a HOB can't? Not planing on using CO2, just in case I do later I would like to know all benefits.

A HOB filter creates surface irritation with would cause the CO2 to be released from the aquarium. While injecting CO2 you want as little surface agitation as possible. A canister filter can create as much or as little service agitation, based on the height of the output nozzle. Now don't think that a HOB filter will be all bad, you would just have to inject more CO2 if you had a HOB filter.

A HOB filter creates surface irritation with would cause the CO2 to be released from the aquarium. While injecting CO2 you want as little surface agitation as possible. A canister filter can create as much or as little service agitation, based on the height of the output nozzle. Now don't think that a HOB filter will be all bad, you would just have to inject more CO2 if you had a HOB filter.

I had a feeling that was the reason. I think I'll be goo with out the canister. I'm planing on using organic miracle grow under the sand for main source if nutrients. I've done it before.. Plants boom!

Yup! That is fine. No need to have co2 to have a nice tank. To answer you last question, a filter larger will be better, but you don't want it so large that it creates a sand storm for your fish :)

Yup! That is fine. No need to have co2 to have a nice tank. To answer you last question, a filter larger will be better, but you don't want it so large that it creates a sand storm for your fish :)

I also have heard that Co2 is scary as in a lil to much can wipe out your tank.. Killing all your fish

Imo aquaclears are the best hob filters. Ive heard the fluval hobs are pretty good too but i have no experience with them

I would not recommend the Whisper HOB if you want a quiet filter. I had an internal Whisper that was quiet but didn't filter much. I bought a Whisper 30 HOB and it was noisy from day one. After checking the reviews on line, it seems that most of them are loud. I tried everything to quieten mine down. I gave up and bought an aquaclear. The Whisper did filter just as well as the aquarclear though. The noise was irritating.

So now I found a fluval 205 on Craigslist for $40... I can't decided weather to get that or a aqua clear 40! Ahhhh the heck!!

The ac line is great the bio wheels are cheaper but I didn't like mine. The canister would be nice but if not do ac70 or even the 110 more is always better! Good luck

Yeah, if I had the money, I'd buy the AquaClear 70 for my 45 long. But I got the biowheel 350 for free, so meh.

I would not recommend the Whisper HOB if you want a quiet filter. I had an internal Whisper that was quiet but didn't filter much. I bought a Whisper 30 HOB and it was noisy from day one. After checking the reviews on line, it seems that most of them are loud. I tried everything to quieten mine down. I gave up and bought an aquaclear. The Whisper did filter just as well as the aquarclear though. The noise was irritating.

Interesting thing about Tetra...this company used to be, "back in the day," the Rolls-Royce of aquatic hobbyist products...I mean, all their products were well-regarded and their original Whisper filter line was the HOB to have...

Today, it's just not the same -- from what I have heard and read, these "newer" Whisper filters, including the "EX" series, just don't cut it especially when compared to the AquaClears, etc. There was a time, years ago when I kept tropicals with my dad, that I wouldn't use anything other than Tetra even for food (their TetraFin/Min flakes were always at the ready), but now I avoid most of their products like the plague as the whole operation seems to have gone really mass-market in terms of approach...

This happens not only with aquarium hobbyists and related products, but in other commodity sectors as well -- take, for example, the "Rockford Fosgate" car audio manufacturer. Was a time when you couldn't touch this stuff unless you were really wealthy; as soon as I saw their amps and speakers showing up in the Crutchfield catalog, I knew they had gone "mass-market" and that it was pretty much over....however, in Rockford's case, they still do make a great car stereo product and not that Tetra doesn't make at least decent stuff, it's just not the same as it once was...

Back
Top Bottom