Best option for power failure?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emceeee

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I live in San Diego, right on the bay, so it's fit
Hello,

I did a search on this but came up short. My electrical utility has scheduled a 10 hour shut off. I'm trying to figure out my best option for a small 50 g tank. I know I could rent a generator, but would rather buy something so I have a back up in place should there ever be a protracted unscheduled failure, when there will be a run on generators.

Generators are very expensive - at least the ones on line at Home Depot. Is there another option - battery-based, perhaps?

I have a pump, a skimmer, a heater and lights. I could do without the skimmer and the lights for 10 hours.

Ideas?

Thank you.

what I ended up doing....

I bought the Duracell back up battery. It has the same capacity as the Xantrex, is lighter and cheaper, and, get this - it's manufactured by Xantrex. After a lot of price shopping, Amazon had the cheapest price. I used it for the scheduled power outage (all went well), and it kicked in during a recent brief 1 1/2 hour outage we recently had. Good piece of mind. I also have a cheap $15 D battery-powered back up to use when the Duracell is being recharged (somewhere else).

I have a 90min battery backup on the tanks and a 2500w gene out in the shed just incase.

Back
Top Bottom