Best overflow / return pump?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

catmel

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi everyone,
I'm setting up a 75 gallon tank here in a few months ( upgrading from my 55 gallon) and am going to have a 20 gallon sump this time ( did not have a sump before). I have the sump, new skimmer, tank etc.. I just need to get the plumbing for the sump/tank.

The tank is not drilled. I was wondering with everyones experience what the best overflow is for the the money. I am new to the sump world, and would like some expert input ;) Ive looked around, but not sure what would work best.

Im also looking for a return pump. Ive been told rio is a good brand?

thanks so much for the help!

To me the Mag pumps are the best. I used to have Rio but never again. Eshopps makes a nice HOB overflow I used to use when I had my 55 gallon reef. Glad to hear about the upgrade Melinda.

Eshopps have some pretty gigantic overflows. I would look into something called a MAME overflow. It's pretty discrete and i've seen it being used on really beautiful tanks. It's hardly noticeable because every part to the overflow is made clear. You should check it out. I hear it's pretty expensive for an overflow box though.. but if you've got the money then oh well. Right?

I hear lifereef overflow boxes are good but expensive,I use an eshopps 800,nice piece of kit,no problems and i use the ehiem pump

Pump size depends on what your having in the tank,min 750gph for fowlr 1000 - 1500gph min for reef

I hear lifereef overflow boxes are good but expensive,I use an eshopps 800,nice piece of kit,no problems and i use the ehiem pump

Pump size depends on what your having in the tank,min 750gph for fowlr 1000 - 1500gph min for reef

Thanks! the eshopps one looks decent. tank is going to be reef, so sounds like 1500 or so. Sorry for the dumb question, but does that mean the pump needs to be rated at 1500 gph? The water has to go up about 3-4 feet..just from the return pump. I'm a bit of a newbie on this LOL I want to make sure I get it correct before buying a pump.

I appreciate the help.

Do you guys use flexable tubing or PVC for the piping? One better than the other?

i wouldn't use a 1500 gph pump and overflow on a 75, reef or not. you need flow in the display, but the sump only needs enough flow to feed whatever components are in it. in other words, if you have a 500 gph pump on your skimmer, 500 gph through the sump is fine. any more is a waste.

i would use 700 gph or so overflow for a 75.

i happen to like Quiet One pumps.
flexible tubing with gradual bends = less friction.

Thanks for the help. I was a bit worried whenI saw the price of the 1500 gph pumps LOL.. makes me feel a bit better I can get one with 500-700gph or so.

Thanks again, I appreciate it!

Maybe a mag 9.5 . By the time you figure head pressure it will probably be near 700 gph.

I would go with a Mag also. I run a Mag 18 in my 120 gallon - so a Mag 12 would have plenty of horespower.

Back
Top Bottom