best sand vac help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blazerman92

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, I'm Adam and I'm new to this site. I recently added pool sand to my oscar tank and love it. I need to find the best vac to get all the junk out and my siphon is not doing the job. Any suggestions? Also, got the big UV sterilizer and love the thing, seems like the last couple of days my tank has been kind of cloudy. Change 10% a few days ago, rinsed my sterilizer out today, changed sponge filter a couple days ago. I pride myself on having a crystal clear tank. Please help. Thank you all in advance.:fish2:

Hi Adam, Welcome to AA

A sand bottom with a Oscar , between the waist and him always stirring up the sand it will probably always be cloudy no matter what you do , sand and big fish just don't mix well , I would go with a natural pea gravel instead of sand , as a for a sand vac I don't think there is such a thing , what ever you use will always suck out the sand as it's just so fine

Thought I did enough research

Thanks seaweed. I changed to sand about a month ago ands my water has been crystal clear up to about 2 days ago. Are the gasses in the sand causing the cloudy conditions? Do I need a bigger and better filter? I'll do anything to keep the sand as its really brightened up my tank. Will post pics soon. :facepalm:

U can hold the end of the gravel vac above the sand. U will have to find the sweet spot and u r going to lose some so either u recycle or throw some more in occasionally. The beauty of the sand is the waste shouldn't build up within the substrate. It should glide across and into filter. So truly no vaccing is needed. I agree with the big fish syndrome with sand. It can work but oscars are such pigs. Hope it helps.

Back
Top Bottom