Best Skimmers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thumper

Aquarium Advice FINatic
What is the best skimmer going right now. Are the Tunze skimmers good? I know a lot of folks use the Euro's as well. Point me in the right direction.

I would avoid the Tunze, not that is isn't a great skimmer but it is very expensive for the work that is does. Euro-Reef was by far the best skimmer on the market. Was, that is until seceral clones came out that are comparable. You will find that most skimmers that are pump powered have a venturi on it. The type of venturi is the major differences coupled with types of pumps. The Beckett injector skimmers are very powerful but require large (mostly external) pumps to feed them. The beckett injector is just a glorified oversized, bet effective venturi. The needle wheel skimmer, I.E. Euro-Reef, uses a standard venturi prior to the pump and a neele wheel impeller to make cappacino-like foam.

IMHO, the needlewheel has been a major improvement in skimmer technology. For a 150 gallon tank I would recommend the Euro-Reef CS 6-2. If that is out of the price range. Coralife Super Skimmer (needle wheel) has become a good choice. Also the elusive SouthBay (ER Clone) is a great skimmer for the price. I just strongly recommend the needle-wheels because not only are they effective, they are truely plug-and-play as well as they do not require a big energy hog pump to push it.

HTH,
R-

I like the ASM skimmers. Pretty much the same as the euroreefs for a lot less..

if i dont have enough room to run one in sump how big of a pump would i need to power it outside of it for a 75g... would a mag7 pump work or would i need more like a mag9.5 pump. also devin.... sorry if thats not ur name but whoever is from captive reefs have you ever saw or thought about selling pro clear aquatics equipment? two of my lfs swear by their products and CS but i must say the pumps they use with it aren't top notch but all units are lifetime warranty. also i've seen all their sizes of skimmers at work and they do kick up some good skimmate, im also using their wet/dry 150 pro series.

I use a CPR SR4 on my 75G. Its testy at times but can deliver a LOT of skimmate if thats what your after.

GL!

Thanks, like I said I have a turbo floater 1000 thats skims a lot but I want to make sure I'm getting it all out, it's keeping my water tests great but I have been eyeballing the Euro's.

correct me if im wrong darin but didnt the maker of asm come from euroreef and the only difference in the products is the plastic its made from?

Jonathan you are correct about the ASM skimmers also there is no union on the neck. Most needle wheel skimmers are of similar design. If you have to run external there are several options from the Aqua C EV series, to Huge beckett skimmers. If you are going to run and external skimmer I suggest and external pump (less heat transfer and generall less electricity) A Gen-X mak4 is great for the EV series, and huge beckets require huge pumps.

The thing to keep in mind here Thumper is the amount of skimmate is directly based on the bio-load and skimmer rating. You can put a small remora on a 200 gallon system and it will constantly skim and produce, but that doesn't mean it is sufficient for a tank that size, nor is doing a good job just because it is spitting junk.

HTH,
R-

I tottaly understand this concept. Thats why I'm looking for a better skimmer. If my water parimenters were bad then I would do it today but everything is still 0 so I have time yet to shop. Thanks again guys,

Back
Top Bottom