Best type of filters to use?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Or, you can go with multiple HOBs, if it's in the budget...(y)

I have to respectfully disagree here. With that large of a tank your not gonna want 2 AC110's and its just silly IMO to buy multiple units. Say you ran 4 AC110's. 4 plugs as opposed to 1? Cleaning 4 HOB's as opposed to 1 canister?

If you wanted and I may have suggested this, you can run a canister and 1 AC110 for your filter floss/poly fill.

I can't imagine the HOB filters for a 100 gallon cichlid tank. Seems like they'd be huge... A bit of a visual distraction. Still, though, if it works, its certainly easier.

I assume there are pros and cons to all the canisters, but I do like mine. It's proven to be very effective.

I have to respectfully disagree here. With that large of a tank your not gonna want 2 AC110's and its just silly IMO to buy multiple units. Say you ran 4 AC110's. 4 plugs as opposed to 1? Cleaning 4 HOB's as opposed to 1 canister?

If you wanted and I may have suggested this, you can run a canister and 1 AC110 for your filter floss/poly fill.

Just my opinion and my personal preference; why I mentioned it...

I think it probably isn't a good idea to hook it up to two tanks i don't think they are made for that otherwise they would state this. So i am guessing that, that had been what caused it to back up.

So a 175gal rena canister filter should be sufficient? It won't take out all the healthy bacteria from my tank?

It won't take the healthy bacteria out. In fact, it will house most of your biological filtration in the media. Running your water through the filter ultimately does a lot to keep the proper bacteria in the tank.

I currently have two aqua clear HOB filters they both are large one bigger than the other a 50 and a 70 i think. I use sponges and charcoal in them but its not working with this tank they don't seem to do the job.

I have another tank a 55 galon cichlid tank with an aqua clear 50 on it pretty much the same set up sponges and charcoal only in this tank it does great water stays clear and the filter is always an ease to clean not too much grime built up in it i can simply rinse everything off good and put it back in and everything works great.

With my bigger tank the 100 galon i really need to give everything a really good clean everytime because the grime really builds up in my filters its a real pain and unlike my other tank i can't reuse my charcoal or sponges everytime because they get too nasty. The filter in my 55 has a small pack of ammonia rock but i don't think this has anything to do with why it works on my 55 and not my 100 because the ammonia rock pack is old i doubt they are anything other than just rocks at this point. I guess it wouldn't hurt to try ammonia rock in my 100 gal though.

How come nobody is mentioning the fluval can filters? I've had one running for about 6 months now, not long, but best $80 I ever spent (black Friday sale, fluval 306).
Virtually silent, you gotta put your ear next to it to hear it, low power consumption, easy to set up and clean. I clean it once every 2 months and it still doesn't look that dirty. You pull on a lever to close the hoses, disconnect em, rinse out the sponges and bio media, reconect and you're done.
A fluval 406 is rated for 100 gallon tanks but really it depends on your bio load. You can run a couple or just get a fluval fx5, monster can filter.

I am quite pleased with my fluval FX5 and fluval 305 on my 90 gallon tank. I would recommend them to a friend. I started out with just some HOB filters, but now that I have used a canister I will never EVER go back to using a HOB on anything over 20 gallons. Just my 2 cents...

I am quite pleased with my fluval FX5 and fluval 305 on my 90 gallon tank. I would recommend them to a friend. I started out with just some HOB filters, but now that I have used a canister I will never EVER go back to using a HOB on anything over 20 gallons. Just my 2 cents...

Do you have cichlids in your 90 gal

I do have the fx5 on a 150gallon w/ over stocked South American tank , it works great and is quite just use filter floss and ur tank will be crystal clear

Sounds like this is the one i should definitely get

I love it better than the 4 stage I have on my 55 cichlid tank. For your 100gal I would get the filstar xP-XL the flow rate is 4.5x your tank size and rated for tanks up to 265g has 4 media baskets so you can have a HUGE bio filter. Good luck on your decision.

Back
Top Bottom