Best way to attach a background?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jphendren

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have been searching for something that actually works. I have tried baby oil, distilled water, and vasoline. They all started to peel and bubble after a few days. What is the trick? I would paint the tank, but it is already set up and stocked. There is about 7-8" of space behind the tank, maybe I could use a roller or something?

What is the best paint to use?

Jared

I don't know of anyone that's tried to roll paint on a tank, that might be a bit messy to do with the tank setup.

Same thing with trying to attach a background. For the oil method to work, usually you place the tank flat on the ground with the back facing up, apply the oil, put the background on and use a credit card or some straight edge to squeeze the oil out, causing the background to adhere to the glass.

When I initially set up the tank, I set the tank face down on my kitchen table and applied the background with distilled water and a credit card. It looked great for about a day or so, but then it started to bubble and peel. At this point I had to re-attach the background with the tank set up using baby oil, this also looked great for a few days, but alas, it also started to peel and bubble. Would Seaview gel, or whatever it is called work better then what I have tried?

I was at my local reef shop, and they were setting up a new display tank, and he was rolling black paint onto the back of the tank. That is where I got that idea from.

Jared

As it is on the outside of the tank I have always used spray paint to paint black or blue. Most recently though with a redesign of my tanks which had no backing I actually hung wipeable fake leather fabric by clips. It has a good texture and I can clean and remove/attach it easy.

So try some big office clips and hang it from the top.

Back
Top Bottom