Best Way to Change Over Aquarium Filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scottsheldrick

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi All,

I am very new to this and purchased an internal filter without enough capacity (53% according to aqadvisor! I wish i came across it sooner [emoji19]).

Because of this I'll be looking to upgrade my filter asap but was just wondering the best way to do this without having to start the cycle over again and stressing my poor fish (and myself!!).

For your reference I'm planning to change from the Fluval U1 to the U2 which have completely different media/filters etc. so I wont be able to transfer the old media to the new filter [emoji30].

Looking forward to your advice!

Thanks

Hi All,

I am very new to this and purchased an internal filter without enough capacity (53% according to aqadvisor! I wish i came across it sooner [emoji19]).

Because of this I'll be looking to upgrade my filter asap but was just wondering the best way to do this without having to start the cycle over again and stressing my poor fish (and myself!!).

For your reference I'm planning to change from the Fluval U1 to the U2 which have completely different media/filters etc. so I wont be able to transfer the old media to the new filter [emoji30].

Looking forward to your advice!

Thanks
One way to do it, if your setup would allow it, is to leave the old filter operating while the new one gets colonized by beneficial bacteria, then remove the old one.

You could also remove the media from the old filter and just leave it in the tank, near the new one, until you're confident the new one has a steady biofilter.

Either way, your tank would like a little odd for awhile but it might help prevent a restart of the cycle.

One way to do it, if your setup would allow it, is to leave the old filter operating while the new one gets colonized by beneficial bacteria, then remove the old one.

You could also remove the media from the old filter and just leave it in the tank, near the new one, until you're confident the new one has a steady biofilter.

Either way, your tank would like a little odd for awhile but it might help prevent a restart of the cycle.

Thanks for your help, i think i might try and leave the media in the tank close to the new filter. Have you heard of rubbing the old media onto the new one? Does this actually transfer the bacteria or just kill it/lose it?

Thanks for your help, i think i might try and leave the media in the tank close to the new filter. Have you heard of rubbing the old media onto the new one? Does this actually transfer the bacteria or just kill it/lose it?
No, I've never heard of that technique. I have my doubts about whether that would actually transfer viable bacteria to the new media. Maybe somebody else on the forum knows more about it and can say whether or not it works?

Back
Top Bottom