Betta in a plant vase?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Akeffala

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Is it really bad for them? I just changed all the water and his chin turned white....

I'm not going to say if it is bad or not, instead I'm going to tell you to ask yourself this question: Would I like to live in a 4X4 room for the rest of my life?

BTW: most Bettas are between 2.5 and 3 inches and pet stores recommend at least one gallon of water per inch of fully grown fish so that's about 2.5 - 3 gallons of water per beta.

I would rather suggest a 5G for it I think it is too small for it IMO

A Betta fish will not be at home in a flower vase. Please rehome your Betta to an appropriate aquarium. Bettas like slow moving shallow water. Remeber Betta fish need some sort of filter for filtration so he will be healthy. Also you need an aquarium so you can add a heater and keep the Betta happy.
I rescued my betta who was in terrible condition at Petco. A Petco employee looked at the Betta fish I chose and told me to pick another one cause he said the one I picked out was unhealthy and would die. Well I was determind to rescue him from his little cup. I took him home and got him a breeder net and mounted it in my 55 gallon tank. Then I added the two fake plants that came with the breeder net and took little bit of gravel from the tank and added it to the breeder net. Next I put a few peices of duckweed and added a plastic "betta" hamock leaf which is suction cupped to the top of the lid on my tank. The betta loves having the hamock leaf right above his breeder net. He actually will chill on the plastic leaf at times. Also my betta is happy in his little area cause I have even seen him make a few bubble nests. I have had my Betta for over 4 months now. He has gotten brighter in color, his fins have grown and he has gotten bigger. He is doing so good and looks very healthy. Hope your betta thrives just as mine has.:fish2:

Yes it is! Bettas require a heater set at 80*F, a filter and at least 2.5g but 5g is really recommended. They need a cycled tank with weekly (or more often in smaller tanks) water changes. Please do not keep your Betta in a vase!

its my teachers I'm fish-sitting, I want him so i can take care of him or I'm going to buy him a cage because he looks so sad...

Hi there,

You should probably ask the permission of your teacher first. Even though it is not the proper way to keep a fish, it's still her fish and therefore you need to ask for her permission to get it a bigger tank. I know some people who get touchy whenever someone changges something for their fish.

As for a tank, a 2.5 gallon will do. Yes, a 5 gallon is bigger and better, but all you need is anything above 2.5 gallons really with proper filtration and daily/weekly mainteance.

I'm teachers pet so I think I'll get him but I've shot her an e-mail about him. She wanted him because he looked "pretty" in a vase. After having him all break, and reading about how smart they are, I find it so mean to put him in it.....

This setup is not suitable for any fish especially bettas since they need a continuous supply of fresh air.

Back
Top Bottom