bio balls or cermic rings?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I personally think the ceramic rings are better as they are porous and the bacteria sticks in the holes more than with bio balls. I use both but when I rinse the bio balls they come much cleaner than the rings proving to me that they bacteria doesn't stick as well to the plastic.

Zagz said:
I personally think the ceramic rings are better as they are porous and the bacteria sticks in the holes more than with bio balls. I use both but when I rinse the bio balls they come much cleaner than the rings proving to me that they bacteria doesn't stick as well to the plastic.

exactly right.
ceramic rings have the potential to hold more bacteria.
However, according to the instructions, ceramic rings are supposed to be changed every 3-5 months.
Whereas bioballs NEVER need changing.

I use ceramic rings. I guess maybe we need to start changing all of ours out because we've had them in the canisters for a good 10 months now. :D

Fishyfanatic said:
I use ceramic rings. I guess maybe we need to start changing all of ours out because we've had them in the canisters for a good 10 months now. :D

Heh, I've been using the same ceramic rings for 2.5 years now. No issues. But yes, mine did come with instructions to replace them every 6-12 months.

Another vote for ceramic rings. And they never need changing. Just an occasional rinse in tank water if they start looking a little plugged up.

Possibly another ploy by manufacturers to get more sales. Reminds me of the "replace filter cartridges every 3 to 4 weeks" scam.

I have two bags of biostars and part of a bag of ceramic rings. I haven't changed them yet. Don't really see the need to. I certainly don't want to re-cycle my tank.

I have never even considered changing my ceramic rings. Just rinse them as necessary. Unless they break down I don't worry about it and so far no sign of breaking down.

cool Looks like i'm going with the ceramic rings, I found a bag of them for like 6 bucks that ahs hundreds of 3/8" X 3/8" ceramic cylinders in a mesh bag

Back
Top Bottom