Bio Wheel ....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ikon

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a bio wheel filter .

There are 2 slots for filter pads . Am I suppose to use both slots ?

What filter?

If it's the Emperor, you don't need to use both. The 2nd slot is for the basket that comes with the Emperor, which you can put media in. Or you can use 2 pads. Either way.

Lonewolfblue said:
If it's the Emperor, you don't need to use both. The 2nd slot is for the basket that comes with the Emperor, which you can put media in. Or you can use 2 pads. Either way.

This is the way I used mine many years ago. The first slot is for your GAC pad and the second slot was for a gray basket that I would put some stuff called bio beads in. They would stay in all the time. But you can put any type media in it. As LWB stated you can put a second stage of GAC if you want. You can also use stuff to get rid of ammonia and nitrates if you want. I`m assuming you got that gray basket ,right ?

It depends on which model. For the larger models that have two biowheels, I use filters on both biowheels....but there is also room in back of the filters for a filter media basket.

If I remember correctly, only the Emperors come with the baskets. The Penguins you have to buy them separately. A friend had to get his from Big Al's. But it is not required, you can just use 1 slot if you want.

Can i replace the original pads with a bag of activated carbon and some type of prefilter?

Back
Top Bottom