Bio-wheel is making a lot of noise, please help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lisa Hunter

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My Penguin Bio wheel 330 is making a lot of noise. I don't know what to do. I tried repositioning its parts, but nothing seems to work. The filter catridges are fine so that is not the problem. Please help me anyone.

Lisa,

Welcome to Aquarium Advice. I have moved your thread to the general equipment forum. I believe you will get the answers you are looking for in this area rather then the welcome forum.

Hello Lisa, welcome on board.

My bio-wheel was doing the same thing.
I did a fair amount of looking on line and found a lot of opinion out there that the bio wheel adds almost nothing to the amount of bacteria in the filter.
I took my wheel off the filter and have been just fine for over a year since.

It is my belief that there is plenty of area in the filter media to sustain the bio-media.

Rick

My Penguin Bio wheel 330 is making a lot of noise.
First, Welcome.
These units do have some parts (impeller, impeller housing, wheel bearings, wheel, etc.) that can wear out.
Here is a link to a parts diagram.
Penguin 330 Parts | Pet Solutions
They also seem to splash more if they are not level.
Can you tell us what type of sound you are hearing? (splashing, grinding, squealing, etc.) Also can you tell if it's coming from the pump impeller or the bio-wheel? The age of the filter and how long it's been running may also help.

Is it a squeeking/ knocking noise or a splashing noise? If its not making a mess then the splashing noise is good as it agitates the water surface, assisting in oxygen being disolved and carbon dioxide evolving back into the air. Squeeking/Knocking noise may need to get some new parts.

Back
Top Bottom