Bio wheel isn't turning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pugwinkle

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just set up a quarantine tank for some small cichlids. I set up a penquin 110 filter but the darn bio wheel isn't turning. Will it still filter the water properly even though the wheel isn't turning?

I would try spinning it with your finger, pouring water on it or, turning of the filter, then turing it back on.

Should fill the water properly.
Does the wheel spin when you spin it manually.
Chech the little spindles as eat end, as well as the slots they sit in for gunk.
They're usually pretty reliable sobs. Jeff

The wheel spins fine when I do it manually. There is no gunk as the filter hasn't been used in ages.

Will it still filter properly even though the wheel isn't moving?

Sounds like the water level isn't high enough and I don't know why that would be. I have an Emperor which has a top mounted spraybar to deal with this. My understanding that unless the wheel is constantly wet and rotating the biological filtering (as opposed to the mechanical) will be seriously compromised.
Just a thought. Would it be possible to glue a small lip to the filter so that it will drive the wheel? Jeff

No, it won't do the job if it is not dipping in and out of the water. The little bearings might need to be cleaned or re-seated, especially if the filter was sitting dry for a while. Also, there has to be enough water flow going through there for the wheel to spin, so make sure the filter is flowing properly.

Just got a bio-wheel for the first time with my new (well.. new to me) 10 gallon. Noted that you have to pour water in to get it working. Pour until it starts coming off the outlet, and it should continue on its own.

I had the same problem with a penguin 170.What caused the problem was too much bacteria gunk right under the bio-wheel stuck to the housing. I removed the wheel,cleaned the gunk,replaced the wheel and it was again spinning fast.Also check that the impeller is free of gunk or debris.The filter must be 2/3 full of water for the auto prime to work.Though I must add I'm not a big fan of penguin bio-wheel filters.Their mechanical filtration has to be the worst of any filter.

I have the same problem with a Marineland Bio wheel pro 30. It is clean and spins fine for a while then just sits there doing nothing. I can get it to move again manually but just for a while. I have rinsed it clean, poured water over it, I made sure it was mounted level. It is connected to a HOT magnum with plenty of flow. I even took it out of the tank and rolled it on a table top with the palm of my hand with some gentle but firm pressure in an attempt to flatten the plastic part of the wheel some since it seemed that the plastic part was a little "out of round". I do not know what else to do. It has done this since it was new and it has been a constant problem!!! I have to constantly "fiddle" with it, very frustrating!!! If anyone has any ideas please let me know. I know they say that the wheel never needs replacing but I think that I may have to since it seems defective to me.... :cry: :x :(

Back
Top Bottom