Bio Wheel Tidepool 2 need some suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chris96m

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently purchased a 80 gal setup that came with a Bio Wheel Tidepool 2 sump system. It came with the trays, used saltwater wheel, pump, and all necessary plumbing. The wheel is worthless and I don't know if I want to replace it with a new one or with a different type of media. Does anyone know what type of filter media would work in place of the wheel??

Any DIY methods would be appreciated as well

Thanks for the time

Is the wheel disintegrated or broken, or are you saying you don't like the concept? In the end, it's just a surface to grow aerobic bacteria. I'm not familiar with the housing that it would be in in the Tidepool sump, but the next closest thing would be bioballs or live rock rubble (which will give you both aerobic and anaerobic surfaces).

The inside of the ball is brown and I didnt really want to use it since it was last in a saltwater setup and mine will be fresh. I was thinking of replacing with bio balls someone had suggested to fill the chamber with the ball with scrub pads sponges and things of that sort.

You can clean all parts with white vinegar to get rid of deposits and clean the equipment. Let it soak overnight and use a soft brush to help get it clean. Rinse thoroughly with fresh water.

@Ratrug, I believe you meant aerobic bacteria. Anaerobic (without oxygen) won't grow in a TidePool but aerobic bacteria will thrive.

cmor1701d said:
@Rutrag, I believe you meant aerobic bacteria. Anaerobic (without oxygen) won't grow in a TidePool but aerobic bacteria will thrive.

You are correct; the biowheel is for aerobic bacteria. I'll chalk it up to too little sleep.

Back
Top Bottom