BioChem Stars Pros Cons? How Many?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mentalpaws

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Does anyone have any idea how many chem stars to add to a 55Gall freshwater goldfish tank? i bought a bag of 20 stars and it does'nt say how to use them other than to place them in last compartment of filter. But how many?

i have a single 5 inch fantail goldfish. And a new small one waiting in the wings, in a quarantine tank- to make sure he's not diseased.

I use three HOB filters, each one is full of other media such as zeolite, crushed coral, bio rings, activated carbon (ammocarb) and now the stars. I only placed 3 in each filter.

Running out of room in my HOB filters. Packed any more and the flow will be restricted.

about a month ago or more i had a tank crash as we went away for several months. Been trying to re-establish nitrogen cycle. what a nitemare. I had a fish sitter and she did fine, but something went wrong after we got back.....my ammo readings were up to 8.0 for a long time. Then i finally got a new Marineland bio wheel 200 and now my water parameters are getting to where they should be; the old filters were hand me downs, and faulty.

Does anyone have any idea how many chem stars to add to a 55Gall freshwater goldfish tank? i bought a bag of 20 stars and it does'nt say how to use them other than to place them in last compartment of filter. But how many?

i have a single 5 inch fantail goldfish. And a new small one waiting in the wings, in a quarantine tank- to make sure he's not diseased.

I use three HOB filters, each one is full of other media such as zeolite, crushed coral, bio rings, activated carbon (ammocarb) and now the stars. I only placed 3 in each filter.

Running out of room in my HOB filters. Packed any more and the flow will be restricted.

about a month ago or more i had a tank crash as we went away for several months. Been trying to re-establish nitrogen cycle. what a nitemare. I had a fish sitter and she did fine, but something went wrong after we got back.....my ammo readings were up to 8.0 for a long time. Then i finally got a new Marineland bio wheel 200 and now my water parameters are getting to where they should be; the old filters were hand me downs, and faulty.

Don't use Zeolite if you are still trying to cycle your tank. Honestly you don't need it. You have a very light stock in your tank. Stop using the Zeolite and carbon and anything like that which needs replacing. Run your filters on foam and biomedia. You can use as many stars as you like. Do you use Aquaclears? If so put in 1 foam block on the bottom and fill the rest with biostars. Or use 2 foam blocks and biostars. Put them in a media bag (not the fine mesh bags, they are too restrictive. Use a loose bag like this):
61j5zquP6gL.jpg

Back
Top Bottom