Biomax and Aqua Clear

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ashenwelt

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey all,

I have a weird question. So I bought a AquaClear 50 for my new 45G tank. Honestly, it just wasnt up to clearing the water and it was too close for my taste on recommendations, so I swapped it for a 70. Both were Fluval brand.

Now the weird part is it says it has BioMax. They both had small donut shaped super light items. Now there was a lot of wasted space, so I went and bought a second BioMax insert for the 70 (and there is still space honestly). The thing that is weird is the insert biomax is 100% completely different. No powdery residue, and not donut shaped. More little capped tubes.

So which is BioMax and which works better?

Just an odd quandary to me.

Hey all,

So which is BioMax and which works better?

I haven't seen the rings you describe in Aquaclear (AC) filters, which I love, so I've no idea what was going on there. The "capped tubes" you mentioned sound more like the standard biomedia included with Aquaclears. Either should be fine.

BTW, I usually buy "one size up" when buying ACs. In other words, if I have a 45g tank and the filter is rated for up to 50g (an AC 50), I'll buy the AC 70 instead. Basically what you've discovered. Extra filtration capacity never hurts.

(As an alternative, you could have put two AC 50s on that tank. Either works well.)

Huh, wonder where they came from? They actually have a refillable bag. Either way I have both types in there. So much space... I want bio-media there. My grow out estimate is too close to the bioload in inches of fish (though nowhere close today).

Anyone else double up on bio-media in the HOB?

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

Huh, wonder where they came from? They actually have a refillable bag. Either way I have both types in there. So much space... I want bio-media there. My grow out estimate is too close to the bioload in inches of fish (though nowhere close today).

Anyone else double up on bio-media in the HOB?

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

I double up on the ceramic media. This is the "noodle" style media. In one filter I added them to the mesh bag that came with the filter (AC50). In the other AC50 I threaded fishing line through a handful of the ceramic media's center hole. When it comes time remove them, I just grab one and the rest follow suit.
I use loose filter floss with the ceramic media. I don't use the carbon bag or the sponge. That allows more space for the other media.
I run the AC50 on a 20g long. I was running two of them but has to move one of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I run an AC 50 (with Purigen) and an AC 20 (sponge and biomedia only) on my 20-long. Really good filtration.
Mine is similar. Two AC50 on my 20g L. I've has two sponges and one ceramic bag. Other has one sponge and two ceramic. Haven't bothered with chemical as water is pretty clear as is

I switched out to an AC 70 running 1 spoke, both AC types of Biomax.... But but then added a big wad of filter floss. Nice add on if you give it a try... no bag just rip off a big section of the fill. Now my aquarium looks dirty.

Does the ceramic media ever need replacing?

Sent from my XT1585 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Honestly no ceramic media should ever need replacing.
I have yet to and for the most part it's stayed intact with weekly cleaning in tank water. There might be a small amount of breakdown, but it hasn't looked too bad.

Back
Top Bottom