biOrb 30, wondering if anyone knew anything about these tanks and the filtration they

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mommytron

Aquarium Advice Addict
i got one of these tanks for christmas. it's 8 gallons and really nice looking. i'd love to set it up in my daughter's room with a betta, but i'm not really familiar with it's filtration and air system. i was wondering if anyone knew anything about these tanks and the filtration they come with. i'm also curious about the maintenance it involves and also what kind of decor i can use with it.

this is the tank .... don't worry i have NO intentions on keeping a goldfish (let alone FOUR) in this tank

20311.jpg

For a betta, that tank would be fine. It looks like it's got some kind of undergravel or sponge filter.

If it is an undergravel filter, you'd have to use gravel, not sand. Other than that, you're really not limited.

okay so basically it comes with what they call 'ceramic media' (ill explain later) and the simple bubbler but it has some carbon(i think) and a sponge to trap nasties etc.

if you're at all familiar with SW tanks you know live rock, its basically the biofiltration for a SW tank, the ceramic media serves the exact same purpose and makes PWCs less needed IMO, you could wait 3 weeks instead of every 2 or so. you put it in (follow their directions) and cycle the tank (duh!) and you'll have that biological filtration in that media.

i'd suggest getting some larger rocks (they have feng shui pebbles in a bunch of colors) to cover the media as its pretty jagged and i'd be weary of hurting my fish, also no bottom feeders, the tanks not suited for them.

maintenance is the same as any other aquarium though i'd also suggest their gravel vac (they design all their stuff well and somewhat only so you can use their products it seems, but whatever) its easy to use in that tank and for any other tank.the light is nice, no timer needed as they lights have their own along with a nice dawn/dusk feature

for decor the only limit is what you can fit in, though their biOrb plants are easy to use, my GF used them in another tank after she tore hers down.

she had a biOrb Life 30, it was fun and very stylish lol and we had no problems at all (though we only had 3 guppies, all male, no fighting surprisingly)

thanks for the reply, iDream! after reading through the guide, i began to understand moreabout the ceramicmediayou mention. it isquiteuglyand jagged though, but you say it would be alright to put a layer of large gravel over it? i wouldn't want to compromise the biological filter that the ceramic provides, but would worry about a betta's long fins being damaged on the rough media. when you say "they have a bunch of feng shui pebbles" do you mean the same brand as the tank? or in general?

and i did not plan on any bottom feeders, but i was thinking about algae control, and i was wondering if i got a later of smoother gravel to cover the ceramic media, could i do a couple of shrimp for a clean up crew?

i think i will definitely get the siphon that is made for the tank, as the one that i have probably won't even fit through the hole in the top :biglol: i will also most likely be purchasing the heater that is made for the tank. i would just get a regular heater from a brand of my choice, but i'm worried that it won't fit properly, as the one made for the tank comes with some sort of mounting fixture.

i can't wait to get this tank set up, should be pretty fun!

yeah gravel should be good as long as its bigger than the media so it sits on top instead of getting under, though i dont think you'll compromise the biofiltration.

the pebbles are the same brand as the tank, and yeah the siphon is a good idea, but the i think its "trpoical heater pack" comes with the theo, and it comes with some lame plastic hanger you don't even have to use at all

yeah gravel should be good as long as its bigger than the media so it sits on top instead of getting under, though i dont think you'll compromise the biofiltration.

the pebbles are the same brand as the tank, and yeah the siphon is a good idea, but the i think its "trpoical heater pack" comes with the theo, and it comes with some lame plastic hanger you don't even have to use at all

okay, so i will look for the pebbles. are they large? the ceramic media it comes with is quite large, as big as like 1" i think.

also, as far as the heater, it sounds like the "special" mounting thing it comes with is really unecessary? so could i actually just pick out a 50w heater of my choice? i feel like i could get a better deal than what i found for what is "made" for the tank.

okay, so i will look for the pebbles. are they large? the ceramic media it comes with is quite large, as big as like 1" i think.

also, as far as the heater, it sounds like the "special" mounting thing it comes with is really unecessary? so could i actually just pick out a 50w heater of my choice? i feel like i could get a better deal than what i found for what is "made" for the tank.

Definitely get the heater of your choice. The kit was a rip-off and the mounting device is sitting on the ground lost somewhere in my room, lol. I mean, I got a good heater and thermometer, but I got ripped off for it.

Also, when getting gravel be very wary. If the gravel is too small it will slip to the bottom and get sucked into the filter, which is bad news. That's why you have to make sure to weed out too small pieces of ceramic media during the initial washing.

I'll try to dig up some pictures of my biorb life when it was set up so you can see the ceramic media feng shui pebbles combo. Then you can kinda judge their size. :)

Edit:
Dere go!
img_1195046_0_197214a47202f7adc020fb4c7e197a4b.jpg

very nice jenatron!! thanks so much for the info, i will defnitely just buy a 50w heater of my choice then. i'm hoping since i have the sphere tank it will adhere to the side ok, but 50w heaters are pretty small.

i loooooove the feng shui pebbles. will DEFENITELY be looking into those. i think i may go with fake plants for now as well, until i'm a little more comfortable with the tank.

ps, i LOVE the green wall! :D

very nice jenatron!! thanks so much for the info, i will defnitely just buy a 50w heater of my choice then. i'm hoping since i have the sphere tank it will adhere to the side ok, but 50w heaters are pretty small.

i loooooove the feng shui pebbles. will DEFENITELY be looking into those. i think i may go with fake plants for now as well, until i'm a little more comfortable with the tank.

ps, i LOVE the green wall! :D

thanks! i've had the green wall since i was like, 14. hah! drives me crazy now.
biorbs get a lot of bad rap so i'm happy to help. :)

have fun with it. i'll be watching for updates! :)

Back
Top Bottom