Biowheel....do I need it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wxboilermaker

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a newly aquired magnum 350 canister filter I'm going to be running on a 40 gal tank. I'm contemplating getting the biowheel attachment to run on the outlet. One reason is for the added bio-filtration and the other is so I can easily locate the inlet and outlet at opposite sides of the tank.

So...do i really need the additional filtration of the bio-wheel? I know this filter is overkill as is, but I really like the bio-wheel system. If I were to get the attachment, should I go with the double wheel or single wheel attachment? Right now I'm leaning towards the double just for the added surface area.

IMO your filter is not overkill. And a 10x turnover rate is what I use for all of my tanks. The bio-wheel will help you considerably in grow nitrifying bacteria. Since your going with the expensive filter, you might as well push it to its limits with the bio-wheel. And get the double wheel if you can.

I put a mini bio wheel on my 20gal along with the filter that is already on it. It made a difference overnight with the clarity and has also started my long awaited cycle after 12 weeks of none. I think the biowheel just does so much more in a different way than the power filter itself.

Back
Top Bottom