Blocking off LED light

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Delapool

AA Member
Site Team
Hi, picked up a new LED light for betta tank. It's pretty bright but not dimmable. I was thinking of blocking off a couple of the LEDs to reduce the light and wondering if anyone had done this and what they used? The light gets quite warm to touch but is not super hot, I can leave my hand on the light. Many thanks :)

why don't you return it and get something you would be more comfortable with that is dimmable , why would you want to rig a new light anyway , that would void it's warranty right out of the gate. find something that works for you not against you . that would be my 2 cents :D

If you cannot return it, you could possibly reduce the lighting using window screen material. I would not place anything too close to the diode; it may affect heat dissipation and lifespan of the components.
I recently swapped my adjustable LED with a non-adjustable one on my shrimp tank. I may be trying the above solution (more like experimenting with it) to reduce the lighting.

I have placed black electric tape over blue lights on my current true lumen pros for some time now.They are nothing but trouble on FW tanks IMO.. I wrap it right around the whole fixture as it is just a light bar...I do each individually so if I want one blue here or there for color I leave it but I covered probably 85% of my blues.

Hi, many thanks for the replies. I'll look into these. Sadly it would make more sense to get a dimmable one off ebay or somewhere, I found this one down the back of store cheap but brighter than I thought.

Wow, you guys have such great ideas.

Delapool, just save it for a new future tank, lol!

Check in to the hardware stores and see if there is an attachment which is like a plug or plug and cord. It seems I found something like that when I was looking around one time for something else.

Ok, I'll have a look. Thanks!. I think LED dimmers are a bit different but we have a good sized hardware store.

I did check out online for lights and pretty darn expensive from my preferred local shop.

Kids asked why the room glows purple so not just me thinking this light is weird. That's a great idea on doing the blue lights, don't need them at all for this tank.

Why are the blue lights trouble? I have an LED for my 6 gallon fw tank with 6 white and 12 blues on and the fish store guy told me to use all of them...was he not correct?

Why are the blue lights trouble? I have an LED for my 6 gallon fw tank with 6 white and 12 blues on and the fish store guy told me to use all of them...was he not correct?

This strip light I have is too much light for the plants. A smaller clip on light would of been better but then I'm cutting gaps into the covers.

White light already has plenty of blue light in it, it would be better for plants if some blues were swapped to red light. Red light has relatively poor penetration through water but not so critical in these shallow tanks.

However white and blue lights seem to combine to give a crisp light for the tank for viewing.

Blue light penetrates very well, if your getting algae then I'd switch off that first up as not needed. If your happy with the way the light looks then I'd leave as is would be my thought.

I believe plants can adjust to the light spectrum somewhat but have included a link below.

http://www.aquatic-eden.com/2007/12/understanding-full-spectrum-aquarium.html?m=1

Ok, so tried masking tape over half the LEDs. So far the house is still here :) , light doesn't seem any hotter but I've only put little tabs of tape on. Light still comes through the tape but overall the light is much reduced. Will clean off algae next pwc and see how it goes. Thanks again to everyone for suggestions.

Update - light seems to be going ok and not getting too hot. Cleaned off the green algae from bottom of tank and hoping it doesn't return so quickly.

Awesome. It was either tape the light in Reds tank or get him some shades. Snails kept eating the floating plants. Lol

Two of my must haves - Sharpies and Duct tape, and come in great array of colors!!!

How about a chunk of window screen, thinking someone mentioned that already. One almost always has a window screen which needs an up date and the left over chunk for the light.

Back
Top Bottom