Bones as Aquarium Decor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrBeta

Aquarium Advice Activist
So this could be a potentially awkward topic but does anyone know how bones hold up underwater? I suppose I should clarify and say animal bones. I have a couple skulls and a spine that would look neat in a tank.

I'm just curious if they would break down or affect the water quality in any way.

Well I'd think they would leech calcium, and affect your water hardness...but I guess it would depend what kind of tank you are keeping..,

it would def leach calcium and any other minerals it contained. it would decompose pretty quickly too (compared to, say a seashell containing calcium). it would probably cloud the water too. if the bones mean anything to you (a pet?) i wouldnt put them in there. they would be lost forever. put them on a shelf or some where to be appreciated.

It's be a simple freshwater tank with small fish. The bones themselves are just bones that I've found over the years on open land, all cleaned by nature. I'm fairly certain they're deer bones but it doesn't matter I guess.

I was thinking the same thing. Perhaps a thin epoxy or something similar. Does Krylon make a clearcoat? The spine would be easy but the skull would be more bothersome.

Back
Top Bottom