Bowing tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fender1958

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a glass 55 gallon tank that I just filled. I did get it used from someone that had it up and running fine. I filled it earlier this week and now I noticed that its bowing by 3/4 of an inch. Is this normal for a glass tank, or is it time to retire this one?

Fender1958 said:
I have a glass 55 gallon tank that I just filled. I did get it used from someone that had it up and running fine. I filled it earlier this week and now I noticed that its bowing by 3/4 of an inch. Is this normal for a glass tank, or is it time to retire this one?

If it were me I would retire it. I don't know about you but I don't want 55 gallons of water on my floor ;)

I would have to venture on the side of caution on this one. That does not sound good to me. The only bowing there should be is if you have a bowfront aquarium.

Well there's your problem, the center brace is a structurely piece of the rim. Either replace the upper trim or toss the tank but do no fill the tank...you will see a failure.

Awesome :ermm:. Oh well back to the drawing board.

55g tanks are very easy to come by wether it's Craigslist or Petco's dollar per gallon sale, which may still be going on.

Yea just sucks since it was already set up. Just have to go through the building process again.

Fender1958 said:
Yea just sucks since it was already set up. Just have to go through the building process again.

The building process is one of the best parts of a tank IMO

Back
Top Bottom