Brown algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jlombard80

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My 75 gallon is in the middle of cycling now and over the last week I’ve gotten a lot of brown algae on some of my artificial plants and decorations. I’ve read that routine 20-25% water changes will help this, but wanted to see if anyone else had some ideas on how to best get rid of it. Does this mean the cycling is complete? I’ve tested my water and the levels have dropped a bit but not much. Thanks in advance and look forward to hearing from you all.

John

The brown algae is diatoms. Not technically an algae but microscopic creatures. They are taking advantage of inbalances in nutrients in the water, namely silicates and nitrates.

Perfectly normal to see this during a cycle and should clear up on its own when your tank is properly cycled and everything gets back into balance and the silicates are consumed.

Are you doing a fishless or fish in cycle?

Ways of dealing with brown algae without just waiting it out.

- Simply clean it off the surfaces. It will wipe of quite easily.
- Water changes as you suggest. This will remove nitrates and therefore one of its food surfaces.
- Turn up the lights. Green algae will algae will out compete the brown algae. Green algae is easier to deal with. Many more aquarium species will eat green algae than brown, or going with real plants which can in turn out compete the green algae.

The brown algae is diatoms. Not technically an algae but microscopic creatures. They are taking advantage of inbalances in nutrients in the water, namely silicates and nitrates.

Perfectly normal to see this during a cycle and should clear up on its own when your tank is properly cycled and everything gets back into balance and the silicates are consumed.

- Water changes as you suggest. This will remove nitrates and therefore one of its food surfaces.
- Turn up the lights. Green algae will algae will out compete the brown algae. Green algae is easier to deal with. Many more aquarium species will eat green algae than brown, or going with real plants which can in turn out compete the green algae.

Thank you! I have a NICREW LED light on full power about 8 hours a day. I just did a 25% water change and gently wiped off the plants, still a bit there but much improved. I am doing a fish in cycle this time. When I first set the tank up a couple of months ago I used bottom shelf products and it just didn’t work out, I stocked 8 fish and 6 of them died within a month. So I started this cycle about two weeks ago with seachem stability and I’m starting to see my levels go down a small bit. Hopefully on the right track, and also haven’t lost a fish in a few weeks.

Thank you, would a couple of algae eaters or snails work to get rid of this quicker or will my cichlids eat them? Cichlids are between 2-3 inches long
I don't think so, they might. It's just a waiting game...

Great information, Aiken. (y)

Back
Top Bottom