bulb-activated siphon recommendations?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JohnPaul

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've recently set up some tanks in a new location and sadly, I don't have easy access to a faucet where I can attach a python. So I am going to have to do water changes using a manual siphon.

However, I absolutely *hate* the ones where you get the suction going by shaking the siphon tube up & down in the water several times. I struggle to get it to work and, with a sand substrate (relatively new flourite sand, no less) it just kicks up a huge dust storm of sand.

Can anyone out there recommend a particular brand of a squeeze-bulb siphon? It wouldn't have to be big--my largest tanks are only 10 gal.

Thanks in advance!

Just a thought, have you considered an outside faucet? I do this in my basement, mainly because the water pressure is tons better than it is on my sink which has flow restrictors in it. I got an extension (i hear you can use water hose) and run it outside.

Just a thought, have you considered an outside faucet? I do this in my basement, mainly because the water pressure is tons better than it is on my sink which has flow restrictors in it. I got an extension (i hear you can use water hose) and run it outside.

That's an interesting idea but not terribly practical for me. I live in (essentially) a college dormitory, so I'm quite a bit more limited than most folks.

if your just trying to start a siphon for a hose, alot of people say they just suck out the air, but if your dont like salt water in your mouth, just put 6 or so inches of the tube into the water, on the other end of the hose, place a suction cup the kind that are used for shower soap olders or the kind used for to hold the heaters in the tank or power heads or where ever, after you put the hose in the water, place the suction cup then pull out the hose half way and get that half to go on the outside of the tank below the water line and remove the suction cup, the siphon should start.

My first tank was so tiny that it was impossible to get the siphon started the traditional way, and I didn't want to use my mouth, so I came up with another solution. I used a bulb syringe aka nasal aspirator aka one of these: Amazon.com: BULB SYRINGE 2 OZ: Health & Personal Care
Available in any H&B department for under $2 (or ask anyone with an infant, for some reason people love to give these as baby shower gifts, and really, how many does one baby need?)

Just squeeze the bulb, stick the tip on the end of the tubing (it doesn't even have to seal perfectly), release the bulb, the water starts flowing, et voila- DIY bulb-activated siphon ;)

(and yes, I have one reserved for fish only!)

get a flavor injector for meat, looks like a big medical syringe, most airline tubing will fit this w/out the needle. use that to suck out the air to start siphon

I use the gravel vac siphons in my 10 gallon tanks and it's easy to get the siphon started. You don't have to try to suck on the hose yourself or you don't have to completely submerge the whole vac and tube like some directions claim. Secure the tubing end to the bucket (no on wants to turn around and see a hose spraying water all over the room!) and plunge the gravel vac end in the tank, filling it up. Bring the open end straight up and then continue moving it up until it breaks the water's surface. You'll see the water drain down the tube rapidly. Plunge the vac back into the tank before the water leaves the vac and the suction should start. There's no shaking or disturbing the substrate - just fill the hard tube, lift up, and plunge down again. It may take a few times to practice but it's very easy.

I don't have easy access to a faucet where I can attach a python.
O NO, Well thank goodness. Im glad you cant attach a snake to ur faucet you big MEANY!!! ;)

Back
Top Bottom