bulbs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boxxmann

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 92 gallon corner reef tank with 2 175watt 14k MH bulbs. One of the bulbs went out this evening. It would benefit me more to buy a new retrofit kit for a 400 watt bulb for 109.00 than to buy a new bulb locally for ~$85-90. Would the 400 setup be too much light for the tank? Do you think it would be enough since the bulbs are supposed to be only good for about a 2 foot square area? http://www.hellolights.com/index.asp...OD&ProdID=1775
Help asap would be greatfully helpful as I am down to only one bulb!!!!

50 watts yes, but will that give you enough coverage for your tank. How long is your tank?

Keep the 175's and get Iwasaki 15K bulbs. They perform better than many 250's. 1 400w is not a good setup for your tank.....unless you buy a Lumenbright type reflector and mount it about 2' above the water.

I found out this morning that my ballast and bulb are both bad. I need a new kit for the one bad side. I will be looking for a whole new setup because my other bulb needs replacing in Aug. anyway. Now the only question is to go with 2-175 or 2-250? What do you all think?

Very unusual for a MH ballast to go bad. 1 of mine has been in use everyday for over 20 yrs and it still works perfect.
If you want to buy 2 new ballasts, go with the 250's, but if you want to save some $ and use your good ballast, stick with 175's.

If the ballast is magnetic, you can change the capacitor. Any electric supply store should have them. If it's electronic, there is nothing you can do short of sending it back to the manufacturer.

Back
Top Bottom