Calculating Sump Size

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

robertfah

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey all,
Does anyone know what a good size sump would be for a 155g bf tank? I tried some of the calculators on the site, but none of them work.

Right now I have a 20g (I think) and my tanked isn't drilled, so when I shut off the power, my sump overflows (I do have a 1" safety overflow on the top of the sump) into a spare bucket, but something is telling me I don't have the right size sump.

Any help would be appreciated.

Was just checking on recommendation for a refugium/sump. I found 20% for a fuge. Thinking a comb sump fuge might be the same. I'm about to do a 155g also and am checking on the Reefugium. Google on that and see what you think.

Anyway, I'm guessing 40 - 50g might work for a sump only. I have a 20g tall sump on my current 72g.

Jasno999,
Right now I have 2 overflow boxes (1 has 2 ouputs while the other has only 1) so I have 3 lines going into my wet/dry/sump and it gets puomped out through there.

Austinsdad,
I was thinking about a 50g, but wasn't too sure. I'll be moving my tank in a couple of months and I have a closet behind the wall that the tank will be going, so I wanted to run the pipe through the wall and have all the equipment in the wall, away from the tank. Makes for easier maintenance and quieter as well.

Back
Top Bottom