Can a filter be TOO effective????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mitton

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i am getting a 130 litre tank gratis from my friend in a week or two (cheers mate!!!):p

i have a fluval 404. (max capacity 1000 litre)

is there any downside in having a larger filter than necessary?:-?

would it clean too much, too quickly?

thanks in advance

James

Hi James,

Generally no, the bigger filter the better. You should be getting a filter that can more than cope with the volume of water in your tank.

It won't clean too much too quickly, but there may be too much waterflow - you don't want a whirl pool.

You're fulval might have an outlet adjustor/nozzle so it may not be a problem.

I would say set it up with no fish, then see what the water movement is like.

thanks for quick reply, you can control the flow on the filter.

i was going to put the end of the filter bit (sorry for the terminology) at the bottom of the tank at the back for constant flow over the sand then get a couple of wave makers.

your thoughts?

James

Oversized filters are good if your fish can handle the flow. At the moment, I have a Penguin 200 and an AquaClear 70 on my 29g. I'm seeding the Aquaclear to replace the Penguin. Combined, those filters are rated for 500gph flow. I have to keep my water level high to minimize the flow in the tank and some of my fish still don't like it. My otos like sitting on the glass directly in the flow of the AQ, but my betta tends to hide under the filters or rocks, out of the flow.

Are you setting this tank up as a saltwater aquarium? If not, there's really no need for wavemakers. Wavemakers are for reef aquariums, where constant flow is needed for corals to feed.

Be careful not to put the return too close to the sand. You'll stir up the sand and suck it into the filter, which can kill the filter in a hurry.

If Im not mistaken, a 130 litre tank is about 32 gallons. I think a fluval 404 will be a bit much for this because of the outflow into the tank being so strong. You can put a sponger or something on the outflow to reduce the flow or you will most likely have the whirlpool effect that was already mentioned. Since you already have it.. I wouldn't by another one but I would make some modifications to it, of course try it first and see what happens :).

Oversized filters are good if your fish can handle the flow. At the moment, I have a Penguin 200 and an AquaClear 70 on my 29g. I'm seeding the Aquaclear to replace the Penguin. Combined, those filters are rated for 500gph flow. I have to keep my water level high to minimize the flow in the tank and some of my fish still don't like it. My otos like sitting on the glass directly in the flow of the AQ, but my betta tends to hide under the filters or rocks, out of the flow.

Are you setting this tank up as a saltwater aquarium? If not, there's really no need for wavemakers. Wavemakers are for reef aquariums, where constant flow is needed for corals to feed.

Be careful not to put the return too close to the sand. You'll stir up the sand and suck it into the filter, which can kill the filter in a hurry.

yes, its going to be a saltwater with soft corals in. i have a small saltwater at the moment with really good flow and all fish seem to enjoy it, even my spotted manderin which surprised me. i will be careful not to set the filter too close to the sand.

thanks bigjim

If Im not mistaken, a 130 litre tank is about 32 gallons. I think a fluval 404 will be a bit much for this because of the outflow into the tank being so strong. You can put a sponger or something on the outflow to reduce the flow or you will most likely have the whirlpool effect that was already mentioned. Since you already have it.. I wouldn't by another one but I would make some modifications to it, of course try it first and see what happens :).

im going to be setting it up in around jan so have a lot of time to 'tinker with it ;), will def have a fiddle whe just rock is in the tank and check for 'whirlpooling'.

thanks blueiz

look in to getting a spray bar... not only will it spread the flow out over the whole tank, it will also help with surface agitation.

this is what I intend to do. put the spray bar near the bottom of the tank at the back then have a powerhead and a couple of wave makers:D

With sw, from what I understand, you need the flow in your tank, so you should be fine. To note, I have no personal experience with sw..

Back
Top Bottom