Can i just reseal the outside of my aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oscarr19

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok so i bought a used 32G aquarium and the inside seals are in good condition but the outside seals feel rough and used. Can i just reseal the outside? Here are some picture of the problematic areas. You can also see the sealing inside which is immaculate.

Aqua2 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Aqua1 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

If i cant reseal it without completely removing the silicon can i apply a layer of silicon on a sort of corner protector/cover and apply it to all 4 corners? I don't have a trim either so can i use this and silicon it to the bottom of the tank? heres a picture of what i'm talking about.

corner bracket/protector. | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Different but similar question. My main concern is if I can reseal the outside of the aquarium. The problem is there. If I remove sealant from the outside and reseal it shouldn't it hold? That's what I really want answered. I just want to make sure people understand what I'm trying to say. Sealant inside is in good condition but outside sealant isn't. Please help

Totally up to you the silicone on the outside is just what squeezed out from in-between the glass the only way to really fix it completely is to cut out the glass and reassemble the whole tank but if the inside seams are good that's what really matters as long as the silicone in-between the glass is good I would leave it cause silicone won't stick to old dry silicone
Hope that made sense lol

I don't know if you've seen the photos but the silicon on the side isn't really in between both panels. Take a look at the photos. Its only really in that spot so that's why I'm trying to avoid resealing the whole tank. If I were to remove any trace of silicon on the outside of the tank and try to scrape between the panes of glass then reapply silicone would it help? Or like I mentioned before what if I put those corner protectors around the tank? And is a bottom trim necessary? I can make one with the corner protectors. Reason why this is bothering me is because I want to set up this tank ASAP because I have fish in buckets. I don't know how long they will last but I'm trying so hard.

Just make sure after you scrape it off you clean it well the re apply bottom trim is a good thing that's for sure but I see no need for the corner protecters but if you want added insurance go for it

-Alright so clean outside area with bleach?
-let it airdry
-scrape the silicone
-rub with alcohol(is rubbing alcohol ok?) then let it dry
-reapply silicon
-let it sit for 24hrs?
-fill with water, gravel, decorations and watch for leaks.

How does that sound?

Nobzz19 said:
-Alright so clean outside area with bleach?
-let it airdry
-scrape the silicone
-rub with alcohol(is rubbing alcohol ok?) then let it dry
-reapply silicon
-let it sit for 24hrs?
-fill with water, gravel, decorations and watch for leaks.

How does that sound?

Sounds like a great plan and yes rubbing alcohol will work

Ok and I need 100% silicon right? Can I get it at any hardware store?

look for food safe or aquarium safe it will cost a bit more so be ready for sticker shock lol

**** lol. After looking at some videos and considering my basement floor lol I think i'm going to tear down the tank completely and put the panes together from scratch. How can I check rigidity? I'm turning 16 in 2 months so I'm a little worried I'll screw up something.

Ugh i just biked to my local HD store only to find out they didn't have GE silicone 1 for windows and doors in stock...That is the right one? Probably going to have to call my dad and ask him to pick it up for me. In the meantime i'll empty and remove silicone from my tank.

Ok supported local pet shot and payed 9 bucks for a 90ml tube. I hope I have enough... I'll be posting my progress here with pictures so let's keep it going! :D

Actually I'll start a new thread lol just so if there are other people in my position I can help them.

If you have a Home Hardware near you, they have a house brand that is a little cheaper than the GE I and is aquarium safe (around $4 or 3 pack for $10). If you are going to rebuild, do get a caulking tube as it will be much easier.
I built my first tank when I was 15 and it is still in use 44 years later, still held together by the original silicone. I used a squeeze tube, but wouldn't recommend it.

Last edited:
Got a marineland tube at a LFS. It'll do the job and i know i won't kill the fish. Might need 2 tubes though. One is only 90ml.

Back
Top Bottom