Can I put a 40 gallon breeder / 29 sump in an upstairs bedroom parallel to floor jois

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dan_00ryan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
The tank is in my bedroom and I’m trying to avoid making a new configuration if possible

I wouldnt risk it. A bath requires doubled floor joists in UK building regulations and would support say 200kg. Your set up would be more than that, 265kg water plus weight of tank, stand ane equipment. Im sure there would be a significant safety element (like 2 or 3x) in our regs but i dont think its worth the risk.

If you did go ahead, i would make sure that it sat over at least 2 preferably 3 joists, and tried to get as close to the supporting wall as possible.

I hope I did my maths right converting gallons to litres.

I wouldnt risk it. A bath requires doubled floor joists in UK building regulations and would support say 200kg. Your set up would be more than that, 265kg water plus weight of tank, stand ane equipment. Im sure there would be a significant safety element (like 2 or 3x) in our regs but i dont think its worth the risk.

If you did go ahead, i would make sure that it sat over at least 2 preferably 3 joists, and tried to get as close to the supporting wall as possible.

I hope I did my maths right converting gallons to litres.

Do you think perpendicular to the joists is safe?

First off, im not a structural engineer. Im an architect, so i have a laymans knowledge of engineering. If anyone can give you actual structural advice thats way better than taking mine.

I know plenty of people have 70g tanks on timber joists without issues. But me personally i wouldnt risk it. However, my estimate on weight of your set up is 400kg (900lb round numbers). Thats about the same as 2 x 4 drawer filing cabinets filled with paper and about the same footprint. Would that cause the floor to fail? I wouldnt think so if the joists are suitably sized and spaced. My feeling is you are just about on the limit of what the regs allow for a modern floor. There will be a significant safety factor built in, and positioning close to the supporting wall will help massively.

Why aren't we risking it? Tank failure or floor system failure?. Put a table in the middle of the room. Put a glass of water on it, half full. Not sure how much you weigh? Stand up on your toes and drop to your heels, both feet same time. Record the water glass, all we need to see is the water glass.

Why aren't we risking it? Tank failure or floor system failure?. Put a table in the middle of the room. Put a glass of water on it, half full. Not sure how much you weigh? Stand up on your toes and drop to your heels, both feet same time. Record the water glass, all we need to see is the water glass.

What does this mean?

I wouldnt be risking it because of potential floor failure. The only person who can fully inform the OP would be a structural engineer, and they would need information such as joist sizes, spans, what other loading is on the floor etc.

My opinion is that the loadings are on the limit of what the UK building regulations require and regulations and codes will be similar in other places as well. In reality it will likely hold much more, especially if perpendicular to the joist span and close to the loadbearing wall. Engineers are generally risk averse and over engineer as well. So the likelihood is that the aquarium will be fine assuming there is nothing substandard about the floor. The floor would also not likely just collapse, it would deflect.

Given the OP hasnt given much in the way of information on the floor structure I would err on the side of caution.

You would have to be living in some serious substandard building for a fish tank to compromise the integrity of the structure. I recommended the glass of water on table thing to gain an idea of the deflection/bounce in floor. If op does it and the glass of water falls over or seriously moves than the floor is weak and walking through the room will cause the floor to move which could in turn cause a tank seam to weaken and fail over time. I wouldnt worry about a floor failure over tank failure. Ultimately a home inspector would provide the best answer seeing as we have zero information to base our opinions.

Last edited:
Youre less than 650lbs with a full setup like that. Put it against a supporting wall (like an outer wall) and youll be perfectly fine. If you dont think your upstairs floor can support 650lbs then you must live in a very questionable home.

Think about this. A King size bed with frame would weigh about 200lbs, a wife and husband could weigh 400 combined, and the bed rests in the center of the room. And thats conservative.

Youll be fine but if you are actually worried still call a building inspector and ask them where would be a suitable spot for the tank upstairs.

Youre less than 650lbs with a full setup like that. Put it against a supporting wall (like an outer wall) and youll be perfectly fine. If you dont think your upstairs floor can support 650lbs then you must live in a very questionable home.

Think about this. A King size bed with frame would weigh about 200lbs, a wife and husband could weigh 400 combined, and the bed rests in the center of the room. And thats conservative.

Youll be fine but if you are actually worried still call a building inspector and ask them where would be a suitable spot for the tank upstairs.

Based on the replies I think I’ll end up putting it perpendicular to the joists sandwiched between two load bearing walls to be safe

Back
Top Bottom