Can someone explain why a protein skimmer needs broken in?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vipvenom

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just bought a protein skimmer and I was reading and it said that it may not pick up any organic matter until it is broken in (3-5days). Can someone explain to me why they need a breaking in period? I just don't understand why it just can't start to work.

Also, I have it running in my sump and some super fine bubbles are making it to the tank giving it a cloudy look. When it breaks in do the bubbles generally subside?

thanks,
Chris

Frst, think of when you blow soap bubbles... when you touch them they pop. But if your finger is covered with soap they do not pop. The riser tube isn't coated in slim yet so the bubbles pop leaving some residue on the tube, as the slim coat works its way up the tube it will eventually reach the top and you'll start collecting skimmate.

Second, if the water is flowing too fast through the skimmer it will carry out the air bubbles into the tank. To slow the water flow you have to increase the air flow just alittle at a time until mostly no air bubbles enter the tank. You may have to wait until it is broken in to get it set it up just right.

Makes more sence now. Thanks so much. I will have to see about the air bubbles stopping in a few days.

Also what I would suggest is to run your output from the skimmer into a foam block, before your return pump sends the water back to the tank. I have a large block that sits right below the output, with a small hole in the top that the water runs in to. This breaks all the bubbles down and as a side benefit makes it much more quiet.

HTH

Back
Top Bottom