Can we talk wave makers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
So....

I have a smartwave by Hydor on my BC 29. I was just wondering what are the pro's an con's of using one? What benefit does it have or not have?

Yes I said I have one, I'm a sucker for gadgets and when I saw the video I just had to have it. I have it set for every hour the alternate.

yeah idk if i should get a "wave maker" and i dont want to sound stupid but i have a maxi jet 400 will that do the same thing?

Pauls Aquariums said:
yeah idk if i should get a "wave maker" and i dont want to sound stupid but i have a maxi jet 400 will that do the same thing?

It's different. A wave maker controls the power heads you can alternate them and set it a certain time. Mine go left to right every hour. To make a nice flow in the tank.

Oh Dino and his gadgets! are they nice, yea. are they needed, nope.
pros: more natural flow (mostly visual but I'll let somebody else speak to growth benefits if there are any)
more gadgets on your tank :)
Cons:
less $$ in your wallet
none that I can think of.

Disclaimer: I am no expert

Haha yeah I love those gadgets. Well I have that smart wave and I dunno if it's just me lol but I swear the corals look better since I've started using it.

Could be me though... lol

I stuck a Hydor FLO on the output of my Fluval 305 a few days ago and I've been very impressed. Fish seem more active, coral movement is more interesting and yes I think there is better extension on some (frogspawn & GSP specifically).
So on the left side (36G bow, 30" wide tank) there is a Koralia 550 aimed toward the center & up, on the right side is the filter output (about 250gph) through the FLO AND a Koralia 425 aimed to collide with the 550. Seems to work well!

- D

Back
Top Bottom