Can you name this SUBSTRATE?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alexgcali

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
what is the name of this stuff?

see attachment

Attachments

• DSCN3250.jpg
    DSCN3250.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 76
no one knows about this tumbled rock, or tumbled vegatative medium?

I dont think it is a rock, the density seems lowers than that of rock. It seems more like a silicate - vermiculite kind of feel, but denser than water.

Put it in water and see if it disolves! Looks like Osmocote fertilizer.

It has been in a tank for a few months, not water soluable.

It also looks a a carbon filtration medium Ive seen before - but that was totally grey (this has a natural looking variety of color.)

If you want to use it, take a reading of your water before you put the substrate in and then a week later take anothr reading. I it is the same then it is safe to use in a freshwater setup.

Oh sorry I did not clarify, you have brought something to my attention. I have about 1 pound of this substrate in my 20 gal tank (brackish). The water quality is excellent. I am not asking about the functionality of this substrate - I only want to know its name. (I got it from an experienced aquarist)
I would like to have about another .5 pound to thicken the substrate layer and give the tank a fuller look.

they bought it years ago from a LFS that went out of biz, and they dont remember who owned it or what the name of the substrate is.

Well I just went looking through the pictures of all the specialty substrates sold by Seachem and CaribSea, and couldn't find a match at either site. There were quite a few that looked somewhat similar, especially the "Special Grade Reef Sand" sold by CaribSea (under the "Dry Aragonite" category of substrates) but yours looks to be much more uniformly round than the CaribSea stuff.

No idea.

looks like pacific ocean gravel to me that is what it looks like and the way your are explaining it

Does anybody sell tumbled gravel? Its possible that someone with a rock tumbler bought some pacific ocean gravel then polished it into little spheres.

Back
Top Bottom