Canister filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I personally love canister filters. So far I haven't had a problem. they can be packed with any type of media.

Mine goes:

filter floss
drip plate
bio balls (pot scrubbers)
empty space

Mines DIY but I think the principle remains the same.

Are you using it for SW or FW?

I personally love canister filters. So far I haven't had a problem. they can be packed with any type of media.

Mine goes:

filter floss
drip plate
bio balls (pot scrubbers)
empty space

Mines DIY but I think the principle remains the same.

Are you using it for SW or FW?

High Five on the Pot Scrubbers!

Its in a 75 Gallon salt water tank. I also got a protein skimmer with it. Just started cycling aquarium tonight, going to get some raw shrimp tomorrow to throw in there. Can't wait to finish cycling. Hopefully by the end of next week or the week after I'll have some live rock in there and then fish soon after!

If I had a saltwater tank I'd do a sump system. It seems like there's nothing but benefits to it. More water volume, A place to hide equipment, easier water changes (i think).

Just my 2 and a half cents.

I want to do a sump and I know that it has numerous benefits its just I'm a high school student and money is one of my MAJOR issues with this xDDD. I'm going to use that for now since it's cheaper then building a sump and then in the future I will switch, hopefully during the summer sometime when I'm working all the time :D.

XD Ditto man! I'm only a freshman (sigh) But I plan on getting a job at Petsmart so I can fund these projects of mine. (PLUS get paied to be around fish all day LOL)

I think the cheapest way to go is just DIY a canister filter. But on a tank that big i think that wouldn't work so well.. :(

The one I bought today was rated for up to 100G so we'll see how it works.

That sucks to only be a freshman, although, I'm a senior this year so next year I'll be a freshman again :S

I run filters on my SW tanks and no skimmers (personal preference). I agree with the filter media. I use purigen and either LR rubble or the ceramic rings. I also take out the sponges since they seemed to cause high nitrAtes.
What brand of filter are you using?

I'm using a Fluval 405. My tank is an 75 Gallon salt water and I have a Protein skimmer hanging on the back. I went and bought 47 lbs of live rock today. It was all that my LFS had but they'll be getting more in later this week and I'll probably buy them out again xDDD.

Back
Top Bottom