Canister Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jd0716

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all just purchased a new canister filter now I have read reviews and done some research but let me just say that so far I am extremely happy. I purchased a API NEXX canister from petco they had a deal by the regular API canister filter get the extra filter for free. So it brings the total up to 110 gallons. Not bad for only paying $99. The only thing is I'm not to keen on the top of the filters being those small plastic star media. Seeing how I basically have 4 chambers for media should I go ahead and put in sponges, ceramic rings bio balls or a combination. I have all s. American cichlids in the tank.

Thank you

I not familiar with that filter, but unless there is a reason not to, there is no reason not to load a filter to your liking. Just read the instructions and head any safety warning, though recommendations on how often to replace media can usually be ignored. Most filter media can be used until it falls apart.

I not familiar with that filter, but unless there is a reason not to, there is no reason not to load a filter to your liking. Just read the instructions and head any safety warning, though recommendations on how often to replace media can usually be ignored. Most filter media can be used until it falls apart.

Agreed. I've had media from my turtle tank 4 years ago when I changed filters and only now are the ceramic pieces starting to crumble.

Back
Top Bottom