Canister Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PaperBoy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm looking at getting a canister filter. I would like input on the Eheim, Fluval, and the Cascade. I'm going to be using it in a 55gal tank.

I have a both a fluval 204 and cascade 1000. I like the cascade better. Its very easy to set up, and I have less trouble priming the cascade.

I also have a Cascade 1000 and 1200 and absolutely LOVE them. Quiet, easy to maintain, easy to setup, flexible.

Go with the Fluval, it's a great device. It may be a little more complicated to set up (gotta be honest about that) but once done, it runs quietly and efficiently.

Here's a pic of the fluval on my 75gal on it's first trail run:

Just look at that flow!

thetank2002.jpg

I have owned a magnum and a fluval. I like the fluvals much better than magnums. I can't comment on the cascades. I am happy enough with the fluval that I ended up with three of them.

I have both fluval and Eheim - both very good, both very queit . I do prefer the eheim a bit more though. .

Toirtis said:
Eheim comes out head and shoulders above the other two....better filter that will last for years and years....simply no comparison.
other than price hehe

eheims are great, easy to take care of, ease of priming, quiet .... def gets my vote !

fluvals, xx4 series, tend to be problematic, a lil nosier, and a biatch to prime ..... i did like the old xx3 series tho ..... have never tried Cascade ..... hopefully going to try a Rena on my next tank .....

The thing that I don't like about the Fluval's is the way that the hoses look. It seems like quite a bit of clutter. The Cascade's just have a single simple tube for the input and the same for the ouput.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess flow rate in liters per hour. Can anyone who owns one of these confirm? To get flow rate in gph, divide by 3.78 .

Cool, thanks for the kudos! BTW, you probably should buy one with more flow rate than the manufacturer's recommendation, especially if you have messy fish. Firstly it gives you room to grow if you ever upgrade tanks, and secondly, you could get away with less frequent maintenence if you "over-filter". Most folks here are in the order of 10x GPH to tank size ratio. (The only problem is if you have slow moving fish that don't like the strong currents.) Lastly, there's a lot more room for media in the larger models, which gives you more capacity and media options for bio-filtration.

EDIT for completeness: Sometimes the GPH numbers are over-inflated by some manufacturers for marketing reasons, and they are calculated for an empty canister instead of one stuffed with media. I think Rena publishes both and Eheim does a worst case with media and a stocked tank.

Back
Top Bottom