canister filter ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cliffz

Aquarium Advice Freak
Folks,
I dont like the movement of water from my Aquaclear 500. It pushes my java moss and plants leaves all over. The flakes fly all around
Tried slowing down flow with sponge on intake--minimul results.
Can any recommend a canister filter for a 55gal? Fluval? Eheim?.
Thanks

you should check out the Rena Xp3. 350 gph and has 3 media baskets , but 1 contains 4 sponges. It's pretty nice i've had mine running for almost 2 years now w/ not a single problem. It's also has a spray bar attachment to spread out your flow. Not to mention when you clean it the hoses detach from the body w/ breeze and take about 5 mins. to clean out and hook back up.

You only have to prime it once and that's when you first start it up.

In addition to that the XPs come with an adjustment valve for you to decrease the amount of flow if you want to.

Cliffz - as others mentioned check out the Rena XP3. Your only need to maintain it once a month or every few months. I have two on my 135 and clean out the filter pads every two months and this is in a tank with about 30 or so African Cichlids and their fry/juvies.

folks,
Thank you very much for the advice--I will look into the Rena XP3 for my 55 gal--

Folks,
Did some checking--Seems for a 55gal the Rena XP2 would be the choice not th4e XP3? Any info on the eihm ECCO model?
thanks again!

I have a 55g planted and purchased the xp3 based partly on advise from folks here. The xp2 is indeed rated by the manufacturer as being capable of filtering a 55g. I had sand for a substrate up until this weekend and when I first planted it, the xp3 would uproot several of the plants. I had to get creative on how to keep them in place until they could take root. However, with my xp3, I still have "dead" areas in my tank and I am thinking of adding a power head.

I think that, if I had gotten the smaller xp2, I would have to get more than a couple of power heads to cover the dead spots. My recommendation: It's only about $20 more. Get the xp3. it's more versatile and has better flow.

I have to agree with the gang here...I've read about the Xp3 and it looks like an excellent solution! I was going to recomend a spraybar to spread your flow but if it comes with an attachment I think that would solve your proble and give you an great filter!

Thanks folks---I do understand it also has a flow control to minimze flow--The spray bar mounted totatally submerged is the correct way to go?

Cliffz said:
Thanks folks---I do understand it also has a flow control to minimze flow--The spray bar mounted totatally submerged is the correct way to go?
As long as you dont need to mount it horizontaly on one of the short sides of the tank. It's too long for the sides of my 55g :cry: . But I might make one from PVC pipe someday.

Wow! I was thinking of dropping down the spray bar down the rear left side of my 55gal. Its too long? Only option is along back of tank? What about with the XP2? same size?
thanks

My preference is with the XP3 as well. Very good filter and very easy maintenance.

As for the spraybar, I have mine in the back left corner, vertically from top to bottom. And the output is towards the front glass. Mine isn't too long for my 55G or 75G.

Ziggy953 said:
I have to agree with the gang here...I've read about the Xp3 and it looks like an excellent solution! I was going to recomend a spraybar to spread your flow but if it comes with an attachment I think that would solve your proble and give you an great filter!

The XP's come with both the powerjet nozzel and a spraybar, your choice to use whichever you want.

Cliffz said:
Wow! I was thinking of dropping down the spray bar down the rear left side of my 55gal. Its too long? Only option is along back of tank? What about with the XP2? same size?
thanks
Vertically? It will fit anywhere in a 55g vertically. Horizontally and you are limited to the front and rear only.

Maybe all us Filstar owners should write Rena a letter? With so many tanks available today that are not more than 15" wide, shortening the spraybar, or better yet, making it a 2 piece, would be a great upgrade to future models.

folks,
Ok got the Rena XP3 filter
Now what do I put in the lower bins? Foam? any specific? it came with only a carbon bag.

Also--should I put intake next to the power reactor that dissolves my co2 or away from it? My theory is that it would take the co2 and help circulate it?
thanks

Maybe all us Filstar owners should write Rena a letter? With so many tanks available today that are not more than 15" wide, shortening the spraybar, or better yet, making it a 2 piece, would be a great upgrade to future models.[/quote]

Better yet, ask them to make the tubing black instead of blue.

Cliffz said:
folks,
Ok got the Rena XP3 filter
Now what do I put in the lower bins? Foam? any specific? it came with only a carbon bag.

Also--should I put intake next to the power reactor that dissolves my co2 or away from it? My theory is that it would take the co2 and help circulate it?
thanks
Myself, I cant see what it would hurt. So long as the Co2 doesnt build up inside the filter and cause noise. I cant see that happening easily though.
tropicalfish said:
Maybe all us Filstar owners should write Rena a letter? With so many tanks available today that are not more than 15" wide, shortening the spraybar, or better yet, making it a 2 piece, would be a great upgrade to future models.

Better yet, ask them to make the tubing black instead of blue.
I agree. However, I took care of that issue by planting my water sprite in front of it. Cant even tell its there. Of course, larger pieces such as plant leaves get caught up in the water sprite. But thats no biggie (yet).

Folks,
Thanks for all your help!
I hope to transfer filter media from AC500 to XP3 Wed nite--prime and go!

thanks

Back
Top Bottom