canister filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

friend4fugu

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I had posted a thread earlier about prizm protein skimmers and decided to go withe the remora hang-on instead. thanks for your help guys. anyway, i started my tank about 3 months ago, after my brackish fish died (death in the family made me a little neglectful)so as far as i was concerned, i had all the basic equipment. its a 55 gallon tank, with about 40 lbs of lr. i have 2 yellow and gold damsels, 1 green chromis, 5 hermits, 2 emerald crabs and a bunch of little critters that came on the rock. I am using a penn plax cascade 100 canister filter. now i know that the filter has a tendency to become a nitrate factory, something i notice if I dont clean bi-weekly. if i got the remora skimmer with the filter box, would it be enough filtration for me to remove all media from the canister and replace with LR chunks? sort of like a refugium, maybe? the fliter has some really good flow to it, nad the output hides a lot easier than powerheads. i am planning on putting about 65lbs of LR in there slowly. the 55g doesn't have that much room to play, so i've just been collecting choice peices.

Back
Top Bottom